Windows 7 x64 won't sleep because of various programs. How can I fix that?

imhereyourthere

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
Hi, I have been pinpointing reasons why my pc won't sleep. I find one then another pops up.. it's extremely frustrating as this is the first gaming pc I built and it is the griefer not the other players..

Anyhow the programs are these:-

battle.net - blizzards steam-like launcher, if open the pc will not sleep, I cannot see it updating any games however this is still in beta so somewhat acceptable.

steam - if a steam download is completed but still in the download list as 'playable' my pc will not sleep. Again, maybe a feature but I am guessing it is just a bug, I have reported it.

chrome - by far the worst offender, if open at all the pc will not sleep, period.

is there a way I can omit these programs from affecting my sleep timer? if that is possible that would be brilliant. I tried even using cmd.exe command lines powercfg -requests and powercfg /requests and all came back as zero which I found odd..

Thanks in advance for any advice that can help me solve my problem temporarily if not permanently.

Liam

my pc is as follows

intel i3570k
evga gtx 670 sc 4gb
corsair vengeance cml8gx3m2a1600c9 8gb ram
asrock extreme4 z77
samsung 840 ssd 250gb (windows 7 pro on this drive)
samsung 840 evo ssd 250gb (steam)
samsung 840 evo ssd 250gb (mostly other games)
wd caviar black 2tb hdd (programs and documents)
corsair ax850 gold psu
corsair h100i and put plenty of fans in case to keep it cool

really don't know if it matters but here is a list of mouse/keyboards and monitors..

samsung lcd tv
aoc i2367f
aoc i2367fh (have a hdmi to dvi adaptor)
mionix naos 8200
ducky shine 3
microsoft wireless mouse and keyboard

and program versions

Battle.net Version 1.0.9.4269
Steam v013
Chrome Version 33.0.1750.146 m

david271749

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
Go into you device manager and make sure your ethernet/lan controller is not allowed to wake you computer from it's sleep. All the programs you listed use internet. It seems like your ethernet/lan controller is what's waking your pc. I'm sorry if this is something you've already done.