Windows 8.1 - 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolGamerFrost

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2014
I have 8.1 on my hdd and i know if i upgrade i wont loose anything (not guaranteed) but i am getting an ssd for gta v, can i install windows 10 update on my ssd from my 8.1 on my hdd and run it through the ssd? and woudl putting it on the ssd from the hdd increase the chances of losing things?

Solution
You need to clone the HDD to the SSD and then format the HDD. Then you can upgrade to Windows 10. You cannot clone the same Windows license to another drive, keep the original Windows 8.1 install, and upgrade the "clone" to Windows 10. It's against Microsoft terms and conditions and one of the Windows installs will likely be labeled as non-genuine and ineligible for security updates. If you want to dual-boot Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, then you need to buy Windows 10.
You need to clone the HDD to the SSD and then format the HDD. Then you can upgrade to Windows 10. You cannot clone the same Windows license to another drive, keep the original Windows 8.1 install, and upgrade the "clone" to Windows 10. It's against Microsoft terms and conditions and one of the Windows installs will likely be labeled as non-genuine and ineligible for security updates. If you want to dual-boot Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, then you need to buy Windows 10.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.