Windows 8.1 100% disk usage

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zachary Roberts

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
I've noticed my PC running at 100% disk usage on more than one occasion. AVG seems to always be at the top of the list of disk reads/writes. So maybe this is the culprit?

I'm pretty sure nothing is physically wrong with my computer as I had issues like this before on Windows 8 (on a laptop) and those issues weren't reproduced when I ran Windows 7 on that laptop.

It can't be a driver issue as the latest drivers (Windows 8 compatible) are all installed and operational. Today my disk ran to 100% shortly after startup and it was so busy doing "stuff" that my PC froze for a few seconds (not even the mouse could move) then it unfroze itself a few seconds later. Like I said, I've had these issues before on Windows 8. I've also googled around and found this is a common problem.

Does anyone know if there is a solution to this? When my PC isn't running at 100% disk usage it performs well.

Solution
Hi,

I have been searching for a solution for over a month now and have finally solved the issue:

Go to charms bar and press search, then type view local services.
Once here, stop and disable BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service). Also, set windows update checks to manual.
Chrome also seemed to be a factor so uninstall that too.

I hope this helps you out ;)

Rock__

Reputable
Sep 24, 2015
Dear Hariom,
I have been struggling with this problem for the last 3 months. I upgraded Windows 8.1 to 10, Uninstalled antivirus, disabled BITS to no avail. Guess what, your solution of changing the virtual memory solved my laptop's problem and restored my piece of mind. Thanks.

-Ajay

Reis314

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015
As a lot of people here, I've tried almost everything written in this thread. Unfortunately I had no success. But today I solved my problem. Looking at my system config I found out that my PC was running with just 4 GB of RAM memory (it has 8 GB). That is why I was facing hard disk usage issues. Actually my PC was running just one RAM memory card. Somehow the other stopped working. So I opened my PC, cleaned my RAM memories cards and it fixed everything.

Hope it helps others.

JOutterbridge

Reputable
Jan 23, 2016

How do i access the virtual memory. I need to increase mine asap

swagers2331

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016
I had searched a couple different solutions after many different things this is what I did and it finally worked.

1. Disabled the windows search and super-fetch.....NOTHING CHANGED
2. Go to Settings...System...Apps/Notifications and turned off show me updates about windows, and since I didn't look at them the app notifications.....Slight Change

FINALLY: Ran trouble shoot on System Maintenance and it found that my troubleshoot history was taking up disk space and fixed it. This is when I saw the immediate change to 1 and 2%
To do this: Control Panel>System and Security>Find and Fix Problems>System and Security>System Maintenance....tada

Hopefully this helps!!! GOod luck!

swagers2331

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016
I had searched a couple different solutions after many different things this is what I did and it finally worked.

1. Disabled the windows search and super-fetch.....NOTHING CHANGED
2. Go to Settings...System...Apps/Notifications and turned off show me updates about windows, and since I didn't look at them the app notifications.....Slight Change

FINALLY: Ran trouble shoot on System Maintenance and it found that my troubleshoot history was taking up disk space and fixed it. This is when I saw the immediate change to 1 and 2%
To do this: Control Panel>System and Security>Find and Fix Problems>System and Security>System Maintenance....tada

Hopefully this helps!!! GOod luck!

robrodp

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016
My PC was so slow that I couldn't do anything. Not even open a browser. I tried everything The culprit turned out to be a program I had recently installed, A pdf reader. Uninstalled it and all went back to normal, After a few hours of trial and error

DVDplayerz

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015

I have no idea why and how... but troubleshooting windows update did it.. it didn't update or anything, stopped some services and then restarted others (BITS, Superfetch, Windows Search, and maybe others) and the disk usage instantly dropped to 0%. I have no clue... after 8+ hours trying to fix my pc. Mind=Blown

Thank you NorJP

oftheunusual

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016

I know this is an older thread and post, but I wanted to commend your explanation process. I benefit from answers like yours because then I understand WHY issues could be occurring rather than, "here's what you do, and you're done".

Sirky

Commendable
Aug 19, 2016

Can you please just say what I have to do I really can't make anything out of what you said but you are the best solution so....?

this thread is 2 and a half years old, you should start a new one with a description of your problem and machine.
otherwise you can try one of the automated fixes that has been developed.

start control panel, select find and fix problems under the system and security section
see if "run maintenance tasks" helps fix your problem.

otherwise, update your bios and motherboard drivers from your motherboard vendors website if you have not already done so.

Ashade

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016

Ashade

Commendable
Aug 31, 2016

so I tried this and disabling BITS and windows crashed so I was forced to do a hard shutdown. now when I try to start my computer it just sits on the Samsung screen with its spinning circle of dots and nothing else.

update: it finally started up after around an hour and disk is once again at 100%

update2: so I opened admin command prompt again and the following is what occurred: C:\WINDOWS\system32>net.exe stop "windows search"
The following services are dependant on the Windows Search service.
Stopping the Windows Search service will also stop these services.

Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service

Do you want to continue this operation? <y/n> [n]: y
The service is not responding to the control function.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2186.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>NET HELPMSG 2186

The service is not responding the control function.

any advice would be appreciated

update:
the problem has gotten worse. now I am unable to do anything with the machine except turn it on and off for whenever I try to do anything else windows itself stops responding.
im thinking I should just buy a new hdd (or if I can find one for this pc a ssd) and install windows 10 or windows 7 (if I can find it). only problem with that is the disc drive on this Samsung machine has been replaced something like 4 times and each time it worked for a little while then just died. so id have to find a way to install windows WITHOUT a working disc drive.

foxhoundSPG

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
My laptop was doing this. I am running windows 8. I had to turn off all windows defender applications and processes and it went down instantly. Turn off real time protection and end the processes in the task manager.

DanRogers

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
Searched for weeks trying to solve this. Would run a few seconds to a few minutes then disk usage would go to 100% and freeze up. None of the above solutions worked for me.
What ended up working for my Win10 was:
In Device Manager – Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controller and change/update the driver from what it was to “Standard SATA AHCI Controller”. Then reboot and verify it changed.
No problem s since.

Status
Not open for further replies.