Windows 8.1 100% disk usage

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zachary Roberts

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
I've noticed my PC running at 100% disk usage on more than one occasion. AVG seems to always be at the top of the list of disk reads/writes. So maybe this is the culprit?

I'm pretty sure nothing is physically wrong with my computer as I had issues like this before on Windows 8 (on a laptop) and those issues weren't reproduced when I ran Windows 7 on that laptop.

It can't be a driver issue as the latest drivers (Windows 8 compatible) are all installed and operational. Today my disk ran to 100% shortly after startup and it was so busy doing "stuff" that my PC froze for a few seconds (not even the mouse could move) then it unfroze itself a few seconds later. Like I said, I've had these issues before on Windows 8. I've also googled around and found this is a common problem.

Does anyone know if there is a solution to this? When my PC isn't running at 100% disk usage it performs well.

Solution
Hi,

I have been searching for a solution for over a month now and have finally solved the issue:

Go to charms bar and press search, then type view local services.
Once here, stop and disable BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service). Also, set windows update checks to manual.
Chrome also seemed to be a factor so uninstall that too.

I hope this helps you out ;)

masiq

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
to check your windows update to manual, you need to press windows+i then as you can see change pc setting at the bottom click that and it will take you to pc setting then you will list of option, you need to click the updates and recover then you got to click "choose who updates get installed" then other page will open and need to change the auto updates setting to whether i install update or not..

ggoldenb

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014
Hello,
my disk also was 100% in use , was noisy and I lost it , PC was under warranty and HP replaced HD and re-install OS.
But after 2 days disk utilization back to 100% , I call to support :) , support person kill all processes on my PC and disk back to normal work , but after restart issue come back . I started to delete all my programs one by one , when I deleted Norton antivirus (it was pre-installe on PC) disk back to normal work .
I did rollback to all changes and still have a good disk utilization . Then I contacted to HP support, answer was do not use Norton .

tomachoj

Reputable
Nov 16, 2014

tomachoj

Reputable
Nov 16, 2014

tomachoj

Reputable
Nov 16, 2014
THIS WORKS!! I'm know nothing about computers; I'm afraid to "run" anything, as well as to go on as administrator. I disabled bits, like numair said. Disk down to 1-2%. I turned bits back on-- stayed at under 10% EXCELLENT! So EASY! Thanks!

David Br

Reputable
Nov 20, 2014
Well after 2 weeks of dealing with this garbage type problem and trying all the solutions, I realized that every time I use windows media player my disk goes to 100% but when I "end task" it, it goes back to like 0%. Thought I'd share since not everyone has the same solution. Hope it helps someone.

M4DCRUSH3R

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014

It is because you are reading a large file...

wms

Reputable
Dec 5, 2014

That worked for me! Thanks!

Arpan Parui

Reputable
Dec 8, 2014

Seraph Brah

Reputable
Dec 20, 2014

You need a medal. This worked instantly. Why the hell does BITS take so much disk usage? Insane. Thank you so much for the fix

GauravGJ

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014

THANKS A LOT! This solution works perfectly. I used to have 100% Disk Usage all the time that resulted in white screens and very slow response.After disabling BITS, the usage reduced to a single digit. Thank You! :)

Hoardware

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
Set virtual memory to custom size, equal to 1.5 times your actual memory. For example, 4 GB of actual ram, set virtual memory paging file to 6 GB minimum, and 6 GB maximum.

In my case, I tried every other solution described, but nothing else worked. ASUS laptop with 4 GB of RAM showed 100% disk use ALL the time, with about 50% of that by System. Interestingly, nothing else added up to nearly 100%. Nothing was being used, except idle processes, and the MB transfer rate was not even that high, yet HDD showed 100% regardless, never going below that. The automatic system-selected paging file was about 980 MB. The laptop was so ridiculously slow, it was completely unusable. I thought it might be hardware failure, such as the HDD itself.

The moment (after agonizing clicks and 5 min waits just to be able to get to virtual memory preferences) I changed virtual memory size as described above and restarted, the laptop is back to normal operation, and the disk usage no longer shows 100%, but hovers near 0% except when applications cause a momentary spike.

nitulshah

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015

Thank you so much.
I disabled BITS. I hope that alone solves the problem. May I know how to update checks to normal.
I agree Chrome doesn't work well in 8.1.

hmoniv

Reputable
Jan 19, 2015

Thanks you johnbl for the excellent write-up. My brand-new win 8.1 desktop was spending over 10 minutes after boot-up with disk activity near 100%. I ran chkdsk using switches you suggested. System stayed at 10% mark for over 2 hours. Finally before the 3rd hour started it completed and the boot sequence no longer has the high disk activity. For reference this was on a 1 TB SSD Hybrid drive (HP Pavillion all-in-one).

tightwaddad

Reputable
Jan 24, 2015
I started having a problem with the disk running at 100% a couple months ago. After searching through related threads, I figured out that my problem was OneDrive related. Each time I stopped the OneDrive Sync Engine, the Disk percent would normally make a dramatic drop within a minute. I turned it back on, so I could get most of my files backed up, until I come up with a better (inexpensive and simple) back up solution.

My files, finally, finished syncing to OneDrive, this morning. I restarted my laptop. The Disk stayed at 100% for about several minutes. During this time, the OneDrive displayed as starting up. Once OneDrive finished starting up, the Disk percent dropped again. It is now running in single digits, with the occasional jump to about the 40 to 50% range.

I thought OneDrive (personal) and OneDrive for Business (college) were great ideas. But, until all of the files sync up, the upload time is horrendous.

Status
Not open for further replies.