Windows 8.1 100% disk usage

MephalaFalls

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016
So I recently upgraded to windows 8.1 from windows 8 (I know I'm a bit late) and my laptop started hanging/freezing just minutes after booting up and the task manager showed this
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/320xq90/r/924/tUmtZD.jpg
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/320xq90/r/923/9i5vNo.png
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/320xq90/r/924/JXVCdd.png

Although my laptop works fine in safe mode but in normal mode it keeps freezing and crashing.

I'm sure this is some windows related issue and my hard drive is not dying because I've performed diagnostics and speccy says hard drive health is good.

I've tried some solutions I found like disabling the following services:
Wserch
Superfetch
BITS
I also did a chkdsk /r and /f for C:
The problem is still there like before

Currently I started it in a clean boot environment. I cannot perform a malware scan from mcafee in a clean boot environment.

Can this be solved without resetting/ loosing personal files/ restore?
But of there's no other way I'll try that too.

Please help me...

Edit:
I started in clean boot environment with startup disabled because my technician asked me to and now I cannot open msconfig... how will I start in normal mode again?

Hey there, @MephalaFalls!

This sounds pretty unfortunate, however, I agree that the update is most likely the cause of your issues. :( You have done an amazing job with the troubleshooting so far. You should definitely backup your files from the laptop somewhere off-site (to an external drive or cloud storage) before you proceed with it, though.
Once you've made sure that your files are safe and sound copied to another location as well, then you could try reverting Windows to its previous state when it was working properly. Did you make a Windows 8 system image before the upgrade? If you did, plug back the Windows Installation media & open the Repair options, you should be able to see the Troubleshoot menu, then click on Advanced Options > System Image Recovery.

This should help you get back to Windows 8 without a significant data loss (Only the files saved after the upgrade to Win 8.1 will get erased), but it would work only if you have made a System Image prior to the upgrade.

Hope this helps. Keep me posted if you have more questions.
SuperSoph_WD

Neur0nauT

Admirable
Sounds like the Windows update service is choking the system, or it could be malware.

You can try running Windows System File Checker for any issues...

• Click the Start button.
    In the search box, type: cmd.
    Right-click on cmd.exe and choose Run as Administrator. If done properly, the below User Account Control window will appear.
    Click Yes to run the Windows Command Prompt as Administrator.
    This will open an elevated command line window, from there type: sfc /scannow (press enter)

Let it run through and if it find anything wrong it will hopefully repair it.

Failing that... run a malware scan with Malwarebytes Free

MephalaFalls

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016
I want to try all this but as I posted in my edit right now I'm in a clean boot environment and nothing seems to be opening! Task manager, cmd, msconfig are all greyed out... how will I boot my computer in normal mode again?

Edit: never mind it worked. I'm out of the clean boot environment. But there's still problems... task mangers is not opening neither is cmd

I'd strongly recommend you follow the steps given by MS in this knowledge base article.
You should follow the steps given after How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting.

Hope they help you. :)
SuperSoph_WD

MephalaFalls

Commendable
Oct 19, 2016

Yeah but nothing is opening! everything is greyed out, the tutorial provided with MS says to open msconfig but nothing happens when I click it. It's greyed out in start menu, same goes for task manager and command prompt.