Windows 8.1 Adoption Rate Gaining Steadily

Status
Not open for further replies.

elmo2006

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
"Also telling is the extreme, almost ludicrous, persistence of Windows XP. The aging operating system, unsafe and riddled with problems though it may be, still has almost a third of all OS traffic."

Really pathetic.

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
The aging operating system, unsafe and riddled with problems though it may be,

unsafe and riddled with problems? I beg to disagree.

stingray71

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
Look at XP hanging in there. I resisted the upgrade from W7 to 8 but was having issue with BF4 in W7. Decided to take the plunge, W8 resolved my BF4 issues. I don't like what they did to the Start Button, but there are some nice improvements in W8.1 once you get past the tiles, though I must confess I'm starting to use them.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010

You could just use one of the many start menu replacement programs. No need to give in to the idiotic touch style interface if you're using a mouse.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
It's basically a service pack for Windows 8, and this is not good news. In contrast, the total gain of Windows 8/8.1 for October was 0.36 percentage points.

Still, if they continue caving in and rolling back on Metro (like they did with boot-to-desktop and Start-Button-but-not-Start-Menu), Windows 8.2 could be just good enough. Hell, the Start Menu being farmed off to 3rd party tools could prove to be a good thing in the end.

catfishtx

Honorable
May 15, 2012
I just built my middle son's gaming PC with 8.1. It's quick and he really likes the interface (He's 14). It's basically a Steam box with Office.

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
I am waiting for the launch bugs to be gone before I update to 8.1, till then 8.0 is what I am using.

trekker9876

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2006
win 8 is a flop, and the only reason it is being adopted is because you cant buy laptops or computers premade without it.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
These take rate probably mean how many just bought a new PC for home user. Last time when Win 8 release, people have the choice to choose between a PC reload with Win7 or Win8. This time, it is like Win8 and Win8.1, of course it looks double take rate.

But for PC for business/enterprise, almost every new computer still using Win7.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

If the guys bashing 8 just for the sake of the internet hate bandwagon,should stop and take a better look at 8 you would probably have noticed that 8 is snappier than 7 in every way, in games though not having any bigger max frame rates differences over 7 (well the hardware does the most work not the software) you would see that all the reviews out there state one thing, Windows 8 has better lower fps than Win7 thus resulting in better averages. So the guys like you who cry about a button please take your heads out of your asses and get over a missing button.

Windows 8 fails only in your minds because as a mature human you can`t get used to another interface, which by the way you will see very rare.

@killerclick .. does it matters how it`s called ? Service Pack, update , 0.1 number incrementation etc... as long as it`s free and adds more functionality while fixing things i don`t see your point about being a "bad thing".

Da W

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
It took time for people to switch from DOS to Windows. 8.1 is heading in the right direction. Complainers can do with a crhomebook.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
@ohim - You are being rude. There are people, me included, who have used Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 but chose to return to 7 not because we can't get used to the interface, but because the flow isn't right. Yes, there are things I like about 8.1, but there are more things I don't. But we can argue over this ad infinitum, but in the end, that is, in a few years, you will probably read about some Microsoft hotshot admitting that Windows 8(.1) was very rough around the edges, just like how they have come to admit that same about Vista, even though at the time they were pushing it like crazy. I'm not rehashing the Vista hate days, but it's almost exactly the same thing we're going through here with 8(.1)

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I know i was rude, but to me most people bashing 8 is like back when XP came out, everybody was telling XP users how 98 is actually better than XP ...
Win8 is not another Vista, Vista came out on computers that didn`t quite had the power to run it smooth and thus making it look very bad.

Win8 has some implementations that for some people is ok, with some is "meh".. and for many ... "WHY THE HELL DID THEY TOOK MY START BUTTON?" reaction. Mostly when i see people bashing 8 i automatically assume they are the 3rd kind.

I have to admit though that the new art with simple dull shapes and text is kinda ugly, but this trend can be seen in Apple`s iOS 7 , and even in Battlefield 4 ... the score board and general text is similar to this "new look"

Personally i don`t call 8 a flop, it has some negative things about it but technically is far away from being a flop.

And yes, for desktop version they should get rid of the touch interface approach, nobody with a mouse and keyboard will chose to grease the monitor with their fingers, for that we have tablets and people who only do facebook and play temple run or candy crush on them.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
MS is slowly closing it's OS all, of course, for your protection, soon you won't be able to load any non-approved SW or drivers.
They keep popping up a blue bar across the middle of the screen asking you to upgrade.
You must click go to website or remind me later, until you do you can do nothing else, no task mgr no nothing. The first time it happens you are given only one choice go to website, which when clicked did nothing on two machines.
Since 7 there is so much crap running in the background, like when you use your browser there are 15-20 connections being made by the OS linking to copyright checking sites. Just load up Sysinternals TCPview and see for yourself data being exchanged with these sites. The OS is keeping track of the programs installed on your system and when they are uninstalled and how many you have added and reports back to MS , hardly necessary for OS operation.
So hopefully linux will become a more modern OS and leave the erector set style behind so we can say farewell to MS as they head where they have tried to get to before owning the whole environment end to end.

Ephebus

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008

I've been noticing this type of comment on every news piece about the 8th Abomination here on Tom's. My only explanation is that Microsoft is actually paying the site to bash XP like that.

JohnUSA

Distinguished
May 14, 2008
I will never use Windows 8 and 8.1 as I find them very poorly designed and very irritating to use. I wasted so much valuable time with these abysmal OSes that I threw them in the garbage and went back to Windows 7.
Stupid Microsoft is obviously catering the new touch and tablet users and completely forgot and alienated all current keyboard / mouse users. A huge mistake that I will never forgive selfish and stubborn Microsoft. I would fire all the idiots who designed this garbage new OS, shame on them. Microsoft should have designed 2 separate versions of this new OS, one for tablets/touch users and the second for all existing Windows users who want to use keyboards and mouse, like me. By being stupid, short-sighted, stubborn and uncaring Microsoft failed big time with this horrible new OS.
I hope that the new Windows 9 will have all the horrible and irritating features fixed and removed so I can use it and be productive again.
If Microsoft does not listen to me and to the billions of unhappy customers they will be a huge loser. We will start using Linux systems. I hate Apple and will never ever use it.
It is up to Microsoft. Fix it or get lost.

hannibal

Distinguished

I can undestand why some people don't like win8, but I don't understand why people believe that win9 will go back to win7 style? MS has allready said that there will be improved Metro UI in win9... So it is win8 redux, like win7 was Vista redux. The UI was same, but some improvement under the hood. (Good improvements I have to say, but still it was the same OS and same UI with a littel chrome on it) It will be the same with win 9 that will be win8 with some craphical chrome and some upgrades to the undelaying system, like new disk operation system (if they can get it ready by then)
Win10 will be next "big" upgrade. And what MS has said it sill be very much more like a cloud aka sky-drive upgrade. Hard to say how, but Internet based services are in much bigger role in win10. And that may be really big difference! Who knows if we then have the same os in desktop, tablets, laptops and mobile phones? In any way that is the direction they are going. Next they will integrate Windows phone and Win RT, maybe after that the whole package. So you really have to learn to live with win8 (or win9 aka win8 with chrome) or go to Linux systems... Win9 may be the last "real" desktop OS you newer see from MS...

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Just like Windows 8, Windows 8.1 will be total flop and i hope anything in the future from MS ends up as total flop if they do the same as they did with Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. By looking at the numbers Windows 8.x is a flop.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

And while we're at it, let's take out the western world too and just count Africa, South America, and some sub-Asian island chains. I bet that would throw the numbers for a loop!

FrankInKY

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
W8 is a terrible flop. In my experience it's ugly, constraining and hinders more than assists the user in accomplishing anything. I re-installed XP after suffering with W8 as long as I could. And I'll stay with XP until something better is offered. And I don't have any reluctance to using Apple or Linux, I just hate to lose all the software I currently use.

Status
Not open for further replies.