Windows 8.1 and 98se dual boot

bzand

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
I am going to try to build my own pc for christmas(sorry there's going to be quite a few questions from me for this) Anyways it ideally is going to have a ssd with win 8.1 maybe 10. Also a regular hardrive for storage. I have a few ide drives laying around and was wondering if I got a motherboard with sata and ide(ideally),a pci ide card, or a sata to ide convertor I could put in one of the drives and install 98 for some old gaming and programs. ( I am aware of virtual box and aren't pleased with 98 running inside it). I don't want to partion a drive and put 98 on it as iv heard its a diaster on sata. Since its an old ide win 98 shold work right? Also the pc is to have 8gb ram (its possible to set limit to 512 for 98 iv heard). Also the processor to be about 3 or more ghz.(I also belive a patch for that) I would not put a high end graphics in this machine however as I don't need it. So drivers/compatibility shouldn't be an issue. Is this at all possible? Maybe win me would be better?

It's not possible, at least not in any way that is satisfactory. Just get an external enclosure and put the disks in there and throw away the outdated garbage that is 98.

Basically, anything new enough to support 8.1 is too new to be supported by 98 at all. If you need 98 for random reasons, use virtualbox or hyper-v (pro version of 8.1 only) to virtualize it.

And just for your info, most 95/98 games work perfectly fine in Windows 8 assuming they are not using DOS mode code. I have half a dozen ones that work fine, only one that needs virtualbox is SimCity franchise stuff

bzand

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
most 95/98 games work fine in Windows 8 assuming they are not using Dos mode CODE
Yea I know I have a few that work others that need dos. Like I said vbox and 98 don't work good in my expiernce.

You didn't set it up properly then. Any modern computer can emulate a 486/pentium chip without issue, and in fact Microsoft took advantage of that for their XP mode in Windows 7 Pro.

bzand

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
[/QUOTE]You didn't set it up properly then[/QUOTE] How is the correct way to set it up. I followed a guide online for the best results. I Disabled virtualization becaide it gave sone error could that be the problem? Maybe not enough ram?

Of course that's a problem, you need to have VT-d or VT-x for fast x86 virtualization, only time it's not necessary is when emulating a different chip. Just use virtualization properly and you'll be fine. Do NOT try to do anything stupid like limiting system performance just for ancient games.