Windows 8.1 black screen after updates

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alessandro_059

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
I have a hp pavilion dv7 7060sb (Windows 7 factory OS) I upgraded this a while ago to Windows 8 no problems then I got the update in Windows store for upgrading to Windows 8.1 all went just fine aswell here.

But after a while my laptop started to become slower so i figured to do a clean Windows 8.1 install because after 2 upgrades the old files where still there.

Then the problems started
I installed Windows 8.1 but Nvidia driver didn't install correctly. And after shutting it down it wouldn't boot again.

Reinstalled Windows 8 i thought the update through the store would work but it didn't, it got a black screen while restarting.

(With these 2 installs my fingerprint sensor didn't work but that's already fixed I had to install Windows 7 driver for it to work, pretty weird if you ask me, but maybe it's just HP's site where I downloaded it from)
But anyway this already works

Did a clean Windows 8.1 install once again (by this time I already lost the Windows 8 serial key after using it 3 times) obviously Nvidia driver didn't install correctly again but after trying some possible fixes I got it working
( uninstalled driver and I had to install an update for Windows media player because I installed Windows 8.1 pro N and apparently Nvidia needs a .dll file from Windows Media Player to work, so after that I reinstalled the drivers, this time not from the HP site because half of it doesn't work.)

So with that everything worked perfectly so I thought I finally did it. But after a couple of days windows did the automatic updates and after restarting I had just a black screen.

I did some searching and found a possible fix
(Recovery drive and then type the command in cmd to fix the master boot record)
But that didn't work

Now I just disabled both Intel and Nvidia graphic drivers through safe mode and for the time being I am working like that because I really need my computer for school

I'm pretty angry now, after all this effort it still doesn't work, I installed Windows 8.1 on other computers and they all work fine but they don't have the Intel or Nvidia drivers so obviously they are the problem
I am thinking of going back to Windows 7, everything works there and I still have the serial, but I personally like Windows 8 more. But if the problems keep coming I will eventualy have no other choice.

If someone could help me fix that problem I would be very very happy because after all this time I would like to have a perfectly working device.

Thanks in advance

Solution
this problem is caused by a mixed set of drivers (different builds) for your graphics card. You can get this if windows updates your graphics card and you don't actually reboot before running the vendors graphics setup program. Basically, windows update attempts to install the graphics driver but it is in use so it puts it into a queue to be installed on the next reboot (not sleep). In the mean time, before you actually reboot or power cycle your machine you use the vendors update program that does not require a reboot. All is well until, some time later you reboot and windows sees that it has a update to install on the reboot and does it. Now you have a mixed build and your graphics card will not work correctly, Also, windows...

quocthaibk

Reputable
Jul 4, 2014
Hehe i 'm vietnamses. I'm wirite not well. You only disable auto update driver. Mycomputer, properti, hardware, devide...., no automatic...., uninstall nvidia 740m. You can update no black screen. Goodluck. Quocthai.cse@gmail.com

magrun

Reputable
Jul 15, 2014

Hi John,

After spending hours on the web trying to figure out solution, your suggestion is a Godsend! The only difference was after I rebooted, (of course graphics were not as good because the driver was uninstalled), I was about to go and reinstall the driver when the computer seemed to refresh and the driver was back.

Thanks you!
Franc

timmythetooth

Reputable
Aug 27, 2014

Power out

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014
I was ready to take the computer in to be fixed after trying many of the solutions posted here. I didn't have a cursor and screen was black. Tried putting in password blind, tried F8 and other shortcuts. No help. Then our power to the house went off. And suddenly the computer came back on! Even though I had tried turning computer off and on many times. Weird!

Status
Not open for further replies.