Question Windows 8.1 Black screen on boot + similar Windows 10 Issue

Jan 13, 2022
Recently upon trying to boot Windows 8.1, I get stuck on a black screen after the Windows logo disappears. I've read that this may be a driver issue, however I have a second HDD with Windows 10 which is experiencing a similar issue, the only difference is that instead of just a plain black screen, there's a loading icon (which I'm not terribly worried about, I only care about the 8.1 issue at the moment). I've attempted to run 8.1 in safe mode but I even get the black screen on that, and I also attempted to refresh it from the installation disc but that failed and was undone.

After looking around for a solution I noticed in DiskPart that both my OSes have no FAT32 partition and have no volumes listed as bootable (I'm only showing my Windows 8.1 here), though both HDDs still appear in my BIOS.

20220113_140819.jpg

Frankly partitions confuse me, and I'm not sure if I'm barking up the wrong tree here. I certainly wasn't messing with them before this happened and I also didn't install any updates recently. Something I noticed is that the day this started, I thought I'd left my computer on while I'd gone out, and when I came back it had apparently turned off. The computer booted Windows 10 normally but upon rebooting to Windows 8.1, it went into disk checking for about an hour and then I started getting this issue on both OSes. At first I'd thought my HDDs got fried from a power surge while I was out, but maybe it BSOD'ed, I can't be sure.

Jan 13, 2022
full system spec? include brand and model of the psu
Motherboard - MSI 970 Gaming
GPU - Nvidia GTX 970
CPU - AMD 6300 Six Core
RAM - G.Skill DDR3-1600 4GB x2
PSU - Thermaltake Smart 500W
Windows 8.1 HDD - 1TB ST2000DM001-1ER164
Windows 10 HDD - 1TB ST2000DM008-2FR102

I'll admit, it's an old and cheap build. Let me know if I forgot anything.