Specs:
motherboard: FM2-A75MA-E35 , MSI
platform: Windows 8.1
graphics: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290X WindForce OC
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gigs (2x4) DDR3
PS: Corsair CX 500 ATX
HDD: 1TB desktop SATA hard drive- OEM
CPU: AMD 750KWOHJBOX multi-core processor

Hi, im getting constant blue screen of death on my 5 month old desktop running windows 8.1.
i cant get past the login screen without getting a blue screen with a rare exception which allows me to use it for about an hour before again getting blue screen. This suddenly happened and will not stop. I have tried system recovery or putting back to a certain date but all is interrupted by another blue screen! I'v tried all i can and am wondering if it has to do with my HDD. I cant find most of my specs as i dont have the time to start it up and check before getting a BSOD.
the errors i get on blue screen are:

NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
SYSTEM_THREAD_ERROR
SYSTEM_THREAD EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILED
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

i have also gotten these errors once finaly being able to access the desktop (when opening certain files): C//windows/system32/config/system/mprofile desktop is unavailable

An answer would be very appreciated, I have never gotten a blue screen on this PC and in the past have been getting 100% disk spikes (perhaps due to avast+chrome) Thank you, sent from laptop

Solution

lotlop

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014

hi iv followed what you've done but when i type the chkdsk c /f command it tells me: the drive, the path, or the file name is not valid
do you know what this could mean?

lotlop

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014

iv run the scan, as its run, its given me "Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50" (without quotes). Other than that error everything is marked as verified and processed.

if important, its also given me -0 large file records processed
-0 bad file records processed

hadamgb

Reputable
May 20, 2014

in your response, you omitted the ":" after "c". should be chkdsk c: /f

I recently had startup problems after installing Windows 8.1 Optional Update KB2955164. Had to Safe Boot and uninstall the update from Uninstall Programs. Try to boot from a Recovery Drive if possible and run Troubleshooting. I had to boot to Command Prompt from a USB Recovery Drive and then go to Safe Boot using the command "bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal" in Command Prompt. From Safe Boot I ran Uninstall Programs from Control Panel, uninstalled the update and then everything worked fine again. Try to see what recent updates have been installed. Always have a Recovery Drive available. There might be one already installed on a separate partition on your existing hard drive.

lotlop

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014
After almost trying everything i finally found the problem regarding the constant blue screens on startup, i should have done it earlier but i swapped the ram with a new pair i had laying about and it fixed it!. One of the chips must have been destroyed which stopped it from starting. Hope it helps anyone who have had the same problems as me.

hadamgb

Reputable
May 20, 2014

Solution