[SOLVED] Windows 8.1 (Blue Screen)

Anderson10304

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2012
Hi THC

I am writing this post as I have an Samsung laptop running windows 8.1 system is as follows :

Processor intel Core i5-3210M CPU@ 2.50Ghz
RAM 8GB (7.71 GB usable)
System Type 64 Bit OS, x64 based processor

It has been in the last week working very low to load webpages along with caption displaying unresponsive page mainly on eBay and YouTube, and then crashes showing the blue screen which reads in brackets (Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some info, and then well restart for you).
Kernal Data Page Error.

I use chrome and even that takes time to load at the best of times.

This has been happening for the last week I allow the laptop to collect info and then restart but it happens again a few hours later.

My hunch it could be a bad sector on the hard drive or perhaps the memory but not sure, can some please help and would it be a easy repair.

In all honestly I haven't used the laptop much but to surf and write emails and purchased in 2014.

I hope there is someone out there who will be able to give me some advice.

Many Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
that could be soldered onto motherboard making it difficult to fix if it is cause

The 8GB SanDisk SSD i100 is just a small SSD soldered on the motherboard (hence iSSD), and it's visible to any disk management tool in any OS. It only becomes a cache by means of the ExpressCache software, which uses it to hold frequently read files (actually LBAs, sector blocks) on the HDD.

see if this can see it - https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5363-sandisk-ssd-toolkit.html
so it only has the 1 ssd in it or another larger hdd as well? Often...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.
Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

any idea what brand hdd is in it?

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

Open Windows File Explorer
Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Anderson10304

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2012
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.
Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

any idea what brand hdd is in it?

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

Open Windows File Explorer
Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

Thanks very much for your help the HHD is a Scandisk SSD i100 8GB.
I've checked event viewer and there is a chance it could be a bad sector on the HHD.

Kind regards

Colif

Win 11 Master
that could be soldered onto motherboard making it difficult to fix if it is cause

The 8GB SanDisk SSD i100 is just a small SSD soldered on the motherboard (hence iSSD), and it's visible to any disk management tool in any OS. It only becomes a cache by means of the ExpressCache software, which uses it to hold frequently read files (actually LBAs, sector blocks) on the HDD.

see if this can see it - https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5363-sandisk-ssd-toolkit.html
so it only has the 1 ssd in it or another larger hdd as well? Often they put little ssd in to act as cache for larger slower hdd.

Solution