Windows 8.1 boot issue

shabamjenkins

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
I've had Windows 8 running on my desktop since building it over a year ago. I've never had any issues with the build whatsoever. Lately, however, Windows doesn't seem to boot without some assistance.

When I power up my computer everything seems normal through post. Once this is over, instead of Windows booting up I get a black screen with grey text that says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". I haven't made any changes to the hardware or software. The only bootable devices I have are a optical drive that has no disc and my ssd.

If I press f12 at the Post screen and choose the boot device labeled Windows Boot Partition, windows boots as normal. My boot device order is optical drive, Windows Boot, then my ssd. No changes have been made to my BIOS settings as well as no recent updates.

I have no idea why all of a sudden I would run into this issue with no real changes being made to my rig. Anyone ever seen this before?

shabamjenkins

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
The BIOS does see the ssd, it's listed as one of the boot devices. It's listed as the model and brand of the drive.

I haven't tested the health of the drive, other than this odd boot problem the ssd hasn't given me any problems at all.