Windows 8.1 BSOD 0x7e

SamsoniteGuitarMan

Reputable
Apr 29, 2015
I have recently been plagued by constant BSODs on my computer. This happens when i played GTA5, Battlefield 4 and H1Z1 and also happens when publishing a video in movie maker. This has been happening for a few weeks now and seems to be getting more frequent.

My OS is Windows 8.1. The error I've been getting is SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED with error code 0x7e.

I ran whocrashed and this is the log that it produced:

On Wed 29/04/2015 19:01:02 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\042915-25015-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x6ADE6)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF801738F8DE6, 0xFFFFD000886CC738, 0xFFFFD000886CBF40)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 29/04/2015 19:01:02 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x7E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF801738F8DE6, 0xFFFFD000886CC738, 0xFFFFD000886CBF40)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 29/04/2015 18:15:08 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\042915-23656-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x150CA0)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF803788E4DE6, 0xFFFFD0012B236760, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

On Tue 28/04/2015 20:27:36 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\042815-23468-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80360E89DE6, 0xFFFFD0012134E738, 0xFFFFD0012134DF40)
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.

On Tue 28/04/2015 20:17:02 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\042815-23062-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF800EC0EEDE6, 0xFFFFD0013E2A7738, 0xFFFFD0013E2A6F40)

On Mon 27/04/2015 21:31:15 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\042715-28312-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x150CA0)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF800A1AFC7A0, 0xFFFFD001AA5F2FC0, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. No offending third party drivers have been found. Connsider using WhoCrashed Professional which offers more detailed analysis using symbol resolution. Also configuring your system to produce a full memory dump may help you.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks

Solution
all of your crashes are due to memory corruption.
remove any overclocking software, check for overheating problems, update your BIOS (best)or reset your bios to defaults,
run memtest86 on its own boot image to confirm your memory is ok.

if that is ok, then you have to look for a driver corrupting your memory.
because of the nature of the error, I would first run cmd.exe as an admin then run
sfc.exe /scannow
and confirm that there are no corruptions that were not fixed.

if it can not fix things, run
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

then if that works, look to find what corrupted your files. I would run a malwarebytes scan.
reboot and run the sfc.exe command again (sometimes malware un does the fixes...
all of your crashes are due to memory corruption.
remove any overclocking software, check for overheating problems, update your BIOS (best)or reset your bios to defaults,
run memtest86 on its own boot image to confirm your memory is ok.

if that is ok, then you have to look for a driver corrupting your memory.
because of the nature of the error, I would first run cmd.exe as an admin then run
sfc.exe /scannow
and confirm that there are no corruptions that were not fixed.

if it can not fix things, run
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

then if that works, look to find what corrupted your files. I would run a malwarebytes scan.
reboot and run the sfc.exe command again (sometimes malware un does the fixes right after you fix them)

if you continue to get bugchecks post a link to your memory dump and sometimes I can see known bad drivers installed on your system.

Solution

SamsoniteGuitarMan

Reputable
Apr 29, 2015

Hi Johnbl, thanks for the quick reply.

I don't use any overclocking software, everythings at factory defaults so I can rule that out. The temperatures also seem to be fine. I'll try resetting the bios when I get home from work.

I'll also run another sfc scan to see if there are corruptions again and I'll run a malwarebytes scan as suggested.

I'll try these first and get back to you.

Thanks

SamsoniteGuitarMan

Reputable
Apr 29, 2015
Reset bios to defaults and ran sfc. There were some corrputions which i fixed with dism.exe. I also did a malwarebytes scan for good measure but it found no malware.

Also as well (and i'm not sure if its relevant), whenever i try to publish a video in movie maker (and sometimes opening it for that matter), my screen will go black and an error will pop-up saying and this warning appears in the event logs. "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.". This just happened after repairing the corruptions too. Not only that but when i do manage to publish a movie without it doing a bsod and the above, the finished video has green flashes at some bits.

EDIT: Aaaaaand some files have become corrupt again, so something keeps corrupting these files even after i use dism.

SamsoniteGuitarMan

Reputable
Apr 29, 2015

Reset bios to defaults and ran sfc. There were some corrputions which i fixed with dism.exe. I also did a malwarebytes scan for good measure but it found no malware.

Also as well (and i'm not sure if its relevant), whenever i try to publish a video in movie maker (and sometimes opening it for that matter), my screen will go black and an error will pop-up saying and this warning appears in the event logs. "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered.". This just happened after repairing the corruptions too. Not only that but when i do manage to publish a movie without it doing a bsod and the above, the finished video has green flashes at some bits.

EDIT: okay even after dism, it still finds corruptions
here's the crash dump file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0mIYewxjHO_Slg2VG9ReTdlNkE/view?usp=sharing

EDIT: never mind, another sfc scan cleared the corruptions up.

TRENDING THREADS