Windows 8.1 clean install BSOD

Nung22132

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
I'v been trying to install/upgrade windows 7 to windows 8.1. Every time I try whether it be upgrade from Win7 or clean install I keep getting a BSOD error "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" I only have a product key and downloaded the install from microsoft.com. In the BSOD it says look it up on the internet for more info. but i cant find anything like my situation. Please help!

Solution
Haha, well this is a safe way to install windows 8.1 without running into any problems. If it boots to windows 8.1 successfully after the installation, you can proceed to format the partition with windows 7 on it (except the 100MB one)

Then you can expand the windows 8.1 volume to all of the space that was previously used by windows 7 in disk management.

Hope this helps.

Reyaz123

Admirable
Reseat your ram. It might be that the ram in your PC isn't properly connected.

Update all of your drivers through device manager.

Uninstall antivirus programs if you have multiple antivirus programs and leave only 1 on your system before installing the other windows.

Nung22132

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013

ok, but before that does it matter that I can install back windows 7 perfectly fine?

Nung22132

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013

No no, I cant install 8.1 the BSOD just kept/keeps happening. So i just would format my drive then install win7 back (i have disc)

Reyaz123

Admirable
Highly recommended to backup all your data first if you haven't yet.

Login to windows 7 and open disk management
Locate your disk in there (C: )
Shrink the volume to about 40-60GB of space. (This space will now become unallocated)
Boot up and install windows 8 to that unallocated space to see if it works.

Why you should do this: people format their entire systems and if they get bsod installing Windows 8, they will have no system to boot to. So this is why I recommend the above steps.

Nung22132

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013

Its says on the download page of the installer, to open the installer in a version of windows, thus keeping windows 7 until windows 8.1 is actually installed. every time except once now, iv done that and it just loads up windows 7.

Nung22132

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013

with this installer you dont pick what drive etc. (if i were to format the drive then install clean it lets me pick) but as far as this goes it just installs win8.1. also from within my account on win 7 iv tried doing the install, yes.

Nung22132

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013

im not sure if it will help but i always BSODS at the seconds after the screen says "setting up devices" or something. it says it so fast, geez i cant tell

Reyaz123

Admirable
Right. So using the unallocated drive you created by following the steps I listed above do this.

Login into windows 7
Run the setup
Choose clean install
Select the drive that was marked as unallocated.
Install windows 8 to there.

Edit: BSODs can be tough to figure out at times but luckily for you, you can check windows event logs for more info on the errors.

Nung22132

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013

the one in windows 7 doesnt allow me to pick a drive or a partition. i guess it auto picks where to install

Nung22132

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013

but the thing is i only want windows 8.1 as my OS. also i gotta go now anyway, so if you feel like it and find anything else just put it here and i will see it tomorrow. thanks for the help thus far! :D

Reyaz123

Admirable
Haha, well this is a safe way to install windows 8.1 without running into any problems. If it boots to windows 8.1 successfully after the installation, you can proceed to format the partition with windows 7 on it (except the 100MB one)

Then you can expand the windows 8.1 volume to all of the space that was previously used by windows 7 in disk management.

Hope this helps.

Solution