Windows 8.1 CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

RyanCattt

Commendable
Feb 3, 2017
Windows 8.1 CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

Today, after attempting to use my PC of two years, I was greeted with a blue screen (with a sad face on it) and the message CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED.

It then took me to the automatic repair screen and gave me a few options such as a system restore, resetting my pc, opening the command prompt and restarting my PC

Rebooting my pc does nothing, i'm greeted with the same error and am forced back into the automatic repair menu. I tried to do a system restore, but was told that I needed system protection enabled on my device, so I couldnt select my local disk to be able to restore my PC to a state it was at a week ago.

I've tried entering safe mode, but I just get the critical process error again

I really want to fix my pc so I can get into windows, but I don't want to lose any of my files in the process as I have over 600gb worth of photos, videos, games and school work that i can't afford to lose. What can I do?

Solution
does it mention a file name when it shows error? I could guess its either winlogin.exe or csrss.exe, they will stop windows loading dead as it can't run without them.

do you have an installer? you can use it to boot into windows recovery environment
If you don't have an installer, you can dl it here and make a USB or DVD << handy boot disc if nothing else, saves restarting a few times to get to that menu you were at.

You can always use linux to access files and copy them since windows isn't working: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

Colif

Win 11 Master
does it mention a file name when it shows error? I could guess its either winlogin.exe or csrss.exe, they will stop windows loading dead as it can't run without them.

do you have an installer? you can use it to boot into windows recovery environment
If you don't have an installer, you can dl it here and make a USB or DVD << handy boot disc if nothing else, saves restarting a few times to get to that menu you were at.

You can always use linux to access files and copy them since windows isn't working: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

Solution