Windows 8.1 disk usage 100% Problem

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

edgewood11

Reputable
Feb 15, 2014
I have a computer that is just built recently and it is running windows 8.1. I am having a problem with high disk usage. It often climbs to 100% under the most basic tasks (running internet explorer). When I look at task manager the task causing it is usually "system." The strangest part is system is only using 3.3 MB/s.

jupiter2375

Reputable
May 16, 2015

By the way, did you check the updates to see if there are any failures?

• . Click on the flag icon at the lower right corner of your screen and go to the Action Center
    . Click on Windows Update. If you like, try the Troubleshooting link and see what it says. Then,
    . Click on View update history. If there's any failure, It'll be listed. Reinstall or delete it.
    . If there's no issue there, try uninstall updates from the most recent date back to the date when you first experienced this 100% disk usage problem.
I'm assuming that your system is free of virus and that no hardware issues. Use any PC tool available to you to scan your system to eliminate all hardware issues first.

Matti Ullah

Reputable
Jul 28, 2015

the best thing that worked for me uptill now was removing paging file, but never do it unless you have more than 8 gigs of ram...The second best thing was to set paging file on drive other than the one on which windows is installed, its working quite cool till now!

Make sure you set no paging file for the windows drive and double your ram size on nay other drive. First try going with no paging file option only.it works best!

Do reply with your results!

E_1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
press
Windows+R
Write
services.msc
Disable
1-Super fetch
2-Windows Search
And It Will Work Great

Thanks Soliman.
Worked wonderfully! Thanks

CatchItUP

Reputable
Oct 7, 2015
Here is a video tutorial for fast fix for 100% disk usage in Windows XP/7/8/10. Please leave the comments on youtube page if facing any problem. Thanks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWnOJcyIhPk

RichJ108

Reputable
Oct 7, 2015
I also had this issue and I disabled many services and made some services manual. I disabled Wild Tangent games, stopped Skype ad made it manual, ,Dragon Notes Core to manual and the 2 services mentioned earlier.

jlevetin

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
I tried everything in this thread and my disk usage was still 100%.
One Drive For Business was definitely the cause, because when I killed the process, disk usage dropped immediately back to normal.
As a last resort, I removed the One Drive for Business Cache. After much cursing at MSFT, there was much relief - it worked.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3038627

Notes:
- Stop sync, then backup the local copies
- For some bizarre reason, the Team documents in Office 365 sync to /User/Sharepoint on my local drive and my personal files sync to /User/One Drive For Business.
- WARNING - THIS WILL RE-SYNC ALL YOUR FILES. YOU MAY LOSE DATA! BACKUP BEFORE RUNNING.

vcspalla

Reputable
Dec 3, 2015
Windows+R
Type "regedit.exe"
Goto HKEY_Local_Machine:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters

Modify the values for Enableprefetcher and Enable Superfetch to '1' and '1' by double clicking.

Regards,
vcspalla

Reis314

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015
As a lot of people here, I've tried almost everything written in this thread. Unfortunately I had no success. But today I solved my problem. Looking at my system config I found out that my PC was running with just 4 GB of RAM memory (it has 8 GB). That is why I was facing hard disk usage issues. Actually my PC was running just one RAM memory card. Somehow the other stopped working. So I opened my PC, cleaned my RAM memories cards and it fixed everything.

Hope it helps others.

Status
Not open for further replies.