Question [Windows 8.1] Disk usage goes to 100%. System seems to be behind it.

ritz2467

Commendable
Sep 1, 2019
My laptop lags when it happens. From my experience, when I use Firefox and have 4-5 tabs open with one of them being Facebook, the problem arises. But when I close the Facebook tab, it disappears. Even having 5 non-FB tabs running, the problem does not appear.
Lags go in 3-5 intervals; lags or even freezes then go back to normal, lags/freezes again, and so on. The problem appears after using it for at least three hours since the laptop was switched on. Also, it only occurs when there is an active internet connection.

here are images of the problem: View: https://imgur.com/a/HCNFL80

on the 4th image, the avast browser isn't causing the problem since the problem still persists even without using the browser.

specs:
processor: Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-4500 CPU @ 1.80Ghz 2.40Ghz
RAM: 4GB (3.66 GB usable)
System type: 64 bit OS, x64-based processor
Bought the laptop in 2013. It originally had Windows 7 but eventually upgraded to 8, 8.1, then 10. But had to go back to 8.1 when I replaced the laptop's original HDD. The laptop has been reformatted several times.

I would really appreciate your help as I use my laptop in university and the problem is now interfering in completing my academic requirements. Thank you very much!

Edit1: i should tell you that the memory using almost 100 pct does not always happen when disk usage goes too 100 pct. Sometimes memory usage hovers between 50 and 75% when disk usage is 100 pct.

Last edited:
When 8.1 came out, 4 GB was enough for general use. Since then, all apps, websites, and even Windows itself, due to service packs and other update, requires more. Nothing is broken, it's just things progressing. As SNR stated, at least 8 GB of RAM and an SSD will make a world of difference on that laptop.

ritz2467

Commendable
Sep 1, 2019
When 8.1 came out, 4 GB was enough for general use. Since then, all apps, websites, and even Windows itself, due to service packs and other update, requires more. Nothing is broken, it's just things progressing. As SNR stated, at least 8 GB of RAM and an SSD will make a world of difference on that laptop.

I should tell you that the memory using almost 100 pct does not always happen when disk usage goes too 100 pct. Sometimes memory usage hovers between 50 and 75% when disk usage is 100 pct.