windows 8.1 download

damiana

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
I can't proceed with download as error message says you need Administrator privileges to install. However I am logged in as Administrator and have checked in Users that I have an Administrator type account.... Any help greatly received. Thank you

If you run out of options, my recommendation would be to back up your personal data and installed programs, and then perform one of the recovery options available to you through Windows 8. Swipe in from the right side, or point with your mouse to the bottom right corner of your screen. Click Settings, Change PC Settings, Update and Recovery, Recovery, and then choose the option that best matches your needs.

Understand that you can lose personal data and installed programs that are not backed up.

USAFRet

Titan

What are you trying to download, and from where?

damiana

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

I am trying to download Windows 8.1 from the Windows store onto a compatible Dell laptop. Thank you

USAFRet

Titan

OK. I did this just yesterday.
The account you are using to do the update must be an Administrator account. I know you checked, but check again. After I changed my normal acct to Admin, it worked as advertised.

Here's the best instructions I'm finding for the problem. It doesn't appear to be an issue of administrative privileges but a bad error instead, although some posters have claimed creating a local administrator account instead of a Microsoft account, and switching to that to perform the install, allowed them to proceed:

1. Uninstall KB2871389 windows update.
2. Restart
3. Goto check for updates and reinstall the update.
4. Restart the computer.
5. Windows 8.1 should appear in the store. If not then try executing wsreset.exe from Run command to clear the app-store cache.
6. Restart the computer after clearing the app store cache.
7. When the 8.1 update reappears in the Windows store, click to download it.