Windows 8.1 Driver Corruption, Help Please!

Nov 12, 2018
I was trying to diagnose my Xbox 360 wireless adapter to play some games on Steam yesterday. The adapter light would light up but the controller wouldn't connect. I had seen this problem before and all I did was go into the device manager where I can view the wireless adapter that was plugged in. The device manager showed it as an unknown device, so I right clicked went to "properties", then "driver" tab, then "update driver", then "browse my computer for driver software", then "let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer", and then scrolled down to the latest driver I had installed. I was then prompted by a statement along the lines of "This driver does not match the OS you have and may cause issues with your computer if you continue to install". But I swore this was the driver that worked last time so I continued to install. Now, my disk is bogged down with 100% use and I'm assuming there is a corruption caused by the driver. I tried cleaning my computer, reverting back to a couple of previous versions of my system, and running check disk and nothing has worked so far. Maybe I have gone about the processes wrong or there is another way to work around this. If anyone has any advice, please let me know.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
xbox 360 drivers should be installed using the driver utility from microsoft.
get the Windows 7 64bit version and install by running as administrator and in compatibility for Windows 7.
https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-id/d/xbox-360-wireless-controller-for-windows
Afterwards reboot and it should work.

If not, you can start googling around and/or wait for another person to respond here.
Or just upgrade to Windows 10 because 8/8.1 is a bad OS.
Upgrading is free.
just download the Microsoft Media Creation Tool and have a flash drive with at least 8GB of space and create a bootable drive.
Can perform the upgrade right inside windows from there.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
(Ignore the update. Just get the tool.)

P.S. - 360/Xbone controller support is baked into Windows 10 and requires no driver installation.