Windows 8.1 DVD install freezing on first boot screen

Carson Simester

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014
Windows 8 install freezes when I put it into DVD/CD reader it boots the blue tiles logo and the white orb things do one circle . Mind you this is a brand new build and I'm somewhat familiar with my way around BIOS but any way like I said it does those orbs then it freezes but the DVD/CD reader still makes the sound that it's reading the Windows 8 disc . I read in another forum to just simply leave the computer alone and let it sort it's self out but to no avail , in fact after about 25-30 minutes the whole system shuts down by its self with no interaction from me. So I'm hoping its something as simple as changing a SATA port or something easy but I will go to any length to get this working and I'm sure you'll be able to tell why from my specs

Intel I7-4790k (water cooled via H100i Gtx)

Gigabyte Xtreme gaming 980ti

Corsair vengeance pro 16 gb@1866

Msi z97s sli krait edition

So any input would be very very helpful and I would appreciate it very much and I hope someone in this community can help me

boju

Titan
Ambassador
The setup would go like

Dual channel memory if that's what you have 2x8GB in Dimms 2 & 4
HDD/SSD in Sata port #1 (The bottom port)

How did you set 1866? Try Intel's Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) see if that helps, or lower the memory speed to 1600MHz and see if the installation progresses. It could be the reason for your hangs as data starts to transfer between CPU and memory it's unstable causing to freeze, memory can sometimes be unreliable.

Carson Simester

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014
Boju I have 2•8gb sticks in dimms 2&4 as well as my Kingston Ssd in SATA 1 . I did enable the XMP , tried to install and no success. I tried lowering the speed to 1600 and didn't get any further . So do you have any other tricks up your sleeve perhaps ?