Windows 8.1 Failed to load. Even safe mode doesn't load.

arleitiss

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015
Hello, yesterday in morning when I turned on PC, right after Windows 8 loading logo screen went black and monitors showed no input.

After 2 minutes screens go brighter (still dark) and all LED's on keyboard and mouse power up and are responsive, but there is nothing on screen, not even a cursor.

After 20 minutes windows loaded afterall.

This morning same thing happened but it didn't start anymore after 20 minutes, not even after an hour.

When launched in safe mode - exactly same thing happens.
When attempting to repair - it doesn't' repair it (says attempting repair for about 50 minutes)
When attempting to "Refresh your PC" - it says cannot refresh.

Anyway, I had to reinstall OS right now onto my other drive, so I am trying to determine if it's possible to recover that installation.

Specs:
CPU: AMD FX-8350
RAM: 8 GB (tested, no errors)
GPU: GTX 970 (latest 353.06 drivers)
HDD's:
Crucial SSD 128gb (M550 - original OS, that failed to start)
WD Black 1TB ( Current OS)

Any ideas?

Solution
From Crucial's website:

"Correct a condition where an incorrect response to a SMART counter will cause the m4 drive to become unresponsive after 5184 hours of Power-on time. The drive will recover after a power cycle, however, this failure will repeat once per hour after reaching this point. The condition will allow the end user to successfully update firmware, and poses no risk to user or system data stored on the drive."

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Is-there-a-diagnostics-program-from-Crucial/m-p/96695#M28827

arleitiss

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015

Well, I tried that in morning, I gave it 50 minutes but it was basically stuck on "Attempting to repair"

arleitiss

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015

I checked already, they don't.
However, they did release a new firmware for the drive few months ago, but still I doubt that even on old firmware - that should be happening.

From Crucial's website:

"Correct a condition where an incorrect response to a SMART counter will cause the m4 drive to become unresponsive after 5184 hours of Power-on time. The drive will recover after a power cycle, however, this failure will repeat once per hour after reaching this point. The condition will allow the end user to successfully update firmware, and poses no risk to user or system data stored on the drive."

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Crucial-SSDs/Is-there-a-diagnostics-program-from-Crucial/m-p/96695#M28827

Solution