Windows 8.1 for DX11.2 or Windows 7

Atkinsr0522

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
Hey all, I'm building a new rig and originally wanted to go with windows 7 but DX11.2 is exclusive to W8.1. Is it worth it to get Windows 8 for this?

Cant understand why you would go Win 7 but then I like Win 8. Win 8 is easy to get the hang of and much quicker for the average user IMO. I'm sure much of the negative reports about Win 8 are due to the fact it is 'cool' to bash MS and it makes people read articles :pt1cable:

kendoka15

Honorable
Oct 8, 2013

People bash windows 8 because for the even slightly power user, it's useless
Windows 8 is a tablet OS, nothing more
People bash on Microsoft because they have a habit of releasing bad operating systems every other version:
95: Bad
98: Good
me: bad
xp: Good
vista: Bad
7: Good
8: Bad

See my point?

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
It isn't useless, and is not just a tablet OS.
The reason most people don't like it is because of the metro ui, rarely have I seen much different substantial criticism.

Aside from the metro ui, a different looking task manager, and a few other changes, it is fairly similar to windows 7. In my experience it feels a little snappier than 7, and there are a few other features that I like on 8 that weren't on 7.

Both OEM versions are the same price, although from what I've heard the way the licenses work are slightly different.

If you want a recommendation for me than go with 8, I have it on both my laptop and desktop and I like it. It took me about a week to get used to and now I am just about as good with it as with 7. Some of the issues that people have with 8 are apparently going to be lessened in 8.1. If you don't like metro ui then use desktop icons (that's mostly what i've done anyway). If you want your start menu back then look into Classic Shell.
Since you say you want a Windows 8 exclusive feature then you might as well get 8. If you already have 7 then staying with 7 might make sense as the 2 OS arent so different, but for buying new then 8 is my recommendation

Brian Blair

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014

Blah Blah Blah! I bet you even go as far as holding worship Ceremonies of Bill Vaccine Gates! I can definitely tell your brain is heavily fluoridated!!! I bet you worship anything that comes from rich or famous people!

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013

More than a month; I've seen better necro-trolling, but this was pretty good.

I made the decision to experiment with 8 after taking the time to research it back when everything was still the same price, instead of listening to the advice of the faceless crowds (especially considering a lot of them likely don't know the absolute basics about their computers, both software and hardware in the first place and neglect to do the basic research to figure that out).

8 worked for my uses, better with some stuff, worse with others, but overall it worked for what I needed it for, and gave me a new toy to play with, which is all (and a bit more) than what I asked for. I refuse to bash it because it has a different way of setting things up, especially when I am competent enough with computers to learn the new way fairly quickly. If it wasn't for the fact that I have software (mainly games) that need Windows I would likely ditch it altogether to play with Linux, and indeed I have done that for my laptop, but that doesn't mean that I vote it as terrible as it does more or less what I want and I generally know how to fix it when it does not.

But again, congratulations on dredging up a month old post just to insult me, you must have had a fun time wading through the Internet with that one