Windows 8.1 fresh install.

rudo2mas

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
So I just downloaded windows 8.1, recently having windows 7 before. I was aware that it would wipe stuff off my hard drive. And I had no programs installed, so far so normal. But I check my HDD space and its the same as before I installed windows 8.1. Are all my programs hidden somewhere that I dont know?

Solution
There is a more comprehensive way to clear space on a fresh installation of Windows, which also removes the Windows.old folder.

In Windows 8, press Windows Key + S to get search. Then type "disk cleanup," and click on the option that comes up to free space by removing files from the computer. Select your drive. Let is scan, then click the button with the shield to redo the scan as an administrator. Once it finishes, check every box. It will delete all old Windows installations in addition to a bunch of other crap you don't need on a fresh installation of Windows. The utility will look like this: (click the picture to get to the official Microsoft instructions)...

Eggz

Distinguished
Unless you forced it to do a clean installation, it might have just upgraded you. You'd have to wipe your system drive and install from bootable media in order to do a totally fresh installation. Did you do that?

bistwo

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Yes, but you will not be able to get them back. When you upgrade a Windows OS without first formatting the disk, it moves all the old files to C:/Windows.old. You cannot restore these files in the new OS, but if you were to downgrade back to Windows 7, the files would be able to be restored. If you never plan on going back to Windows 7, you can delete this folder safely.

bistwo

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

You don't need to do another fresh install, just delete C:/Windows.old

Eggz

Distinguished
There is a more comprehensive way to clear space on a fresh installation of Windows, which also removes the Windows.old folder.

In Windows 8, press Windows Key + S to get search. Then type "disk cleanup," and click on the option that comes up to free space by removing files from the computer. Select your drive. Let is scan, then click the button with the shield to redo the scan as an administrator. Once it finishes, check every box. It will delete all old Windows installations in addition to a bunch of other crap you don't need on a fresh installation of Windows. The utility will look like this: (click the picture to get to the official Microsoft instructions):

Solution

ozzy101

Reputable
May 23, 2014