Windows 8.1 giving me black screen after install on new pc

rkd123

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
I just built a new pc with all new parts and am trying to put the os on it. I installed Windows 8.1 through the DVD and went through the whole process. After the reboot, I was able to login and use it for a few minutes before it crashing and going to a black screen. If i restart it will give me the Windows loading icon then cuts to a black screen again. Not sure what to do.

rkd123

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014

Thanks for the quick reply. So should I take out the graphics card then go through the BIOS to disable the integrated graphics card?

treewithahat

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014
It might be set as a primary boot card, but having 2 gpus of different architectures will confuse the system, so you must completely remove the igpu, and any drivers for it. remove the dedicated gpu and boot into windows 8.1. go to device manager, right click the igpu, and select disable device. alternatively, right click on the desktop>screen resolution>advanced settings>propeties>disable device. then proceed to install the new gpu, the drivers, and then it should work. i hope this helps you, and it worked for me.

rkd123

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014

I took out my gpu, plugged in a vga to the mobo, and ran through the integrated graphics. I was able to get into windows and it is running without a problem on just the integrated graphics (which is a lot farther than I made it before). When I disable the igpu and try to put my other graphics card back in. I still have the same problem. Do I need to go through the vga on the mobo again to install the driver for the gpu?

TRENDING THREADS