Windows 8.1 Hangs/Freezes after about 15-20 minutes, computer has to be rebooted to fix everytime

David M Fox

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-8.1-freezing-lockup-update-fix,24951.html

I am having the exact same Freezing issue with Windows 8.1 as the above URL link
I am trying to follow the instructions given in the link
a) Press Windows key +F to bring up the search Charms bar.
b) Select "Settings" in the drop down menu below search and type "Troubleshooting."
c) Click on "Troubleshooting" and select the view all option on the left pane.

After step c) here I get a box that pops up and says "How do you want to open this type of file (.settingcontent-ms)?" It then asks if I want to look for an app in the app store to open the file or to search the computer for a program or app to open the file. What am I doing wrong here because I'm not getting any option to do the next step:

d) Click on "Performance troubleshooter" and follow the prompts.

Am I missing some system program file that is supposed to check this or what? Or if anyone just knows how to stop windows 8.1 from hanging after 15 minutes that would be good too.

David M Fox

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
Not receiving any responses I looked around for a bit but was not finding anything that corrected the issue I was getting with Windows 8.1 hanging/freezing, but being diligent I found out a pretty simple fix that actually works.

I have looked through several forums and there is a ton of different things that people are suggesting to fix this issue like running Windows troubleshooter and several other things that did nothing for me at all except waste a ton of time, but I'll help you cut right through the crap pie to fix this issue.

If anyone out there is having this hanging/freezing issue after updating Windows 8 home to 8.1 try this out I found it and it fixed the issue the first time after weeks of several other things that did nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYQUJosPbE8

There you go follow what he said, simple, simple fix!!! I can't believe I forgot the update would probably change those power/monitor settings, facepalm! Owell, leave to Windows software to set monitor/power settings to something that would make their software unstable. Hopefully this will fix your issue if not best of luck.

P.S. I want to note that I set never for both options in power save settings.

P.S.S. I found that after changing the power/monitor settings the screen saver takes almost a minute or two to kick in but after the screen saver gets started it will respond to keyboard or the mouse and no longer hang/freeze up and then require a system reboot.

Sounds like you have a device that goes to sleep but does not wake up. Although you can turn off the entire OS sleep functions it is not really a fix, generally it is better to just turn off the sleep function for the defective hardware or get a updated device driver for the defective hardware.
Another cause is often just a BIOS setting that tells the system to put your USB hub to sleep, then you don't have a way to wake the system when you have a USB mouse and keyboard, Solution is just to change the BIOS setting to not turn off your USB ports during sleep)

Jul 22, 2015