Windows 8.1 Has Gone RTM, Final Build Number Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevilence

Distinguished
May 8, 2012
Was gonna comment my opinion but its all been said before and it would just start the same debates over agian. Why bother :p I'll just stick with 7 and be quiet....mostly

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I know, it's all been said before and I with you all. But, wouldn't it have been kind of cool if 8.1 not only had brought back the start button (THE REAL ONE), but made the stupid metro gui, a smaller slimmer pop up bar on the bottom that was in shades of grey with only the active app/apps in color and only if you launched it the gui overlay.

kryojenix

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
I'm waiting for the European edition of Win8.1 where the EU forces them to remove Media Player, Internet Explorer and also the NSA backdoor for spying ...

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i recently switched to windows 8 from windows 7... noticed how i didn't say upgrade. mostly because it's been a sidestep. anything that made win 8 unique, i replaced. got my own start bar. dont use charms or tiles or anything. quick boots are welcome. but nothing else really that fits my needs.

nothing really important for me here actually.

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013
I got over a decade out of Windows XP. It took that long for memory to be affordable enough that 4 GB limit of XP was now an actual limitation. I don't see hardware improvements making Windows 7 obsolete until after 2020.

This isn't the old days where new technology like USB and SATA pop up every year. Back then you could justify upgrading your OS every couple of years. Now what reason do you even have to suffer through metro and no start button? None.

pyrotek85

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013

I did the same thing. I just wanted the under-the-hood improvements, but I'm using it just as I used 7. I can say it's been very stable at least, I haven't experienced any of the kinds of problems that Vista had early on. Honestly it would have been a fine incremental upgrade for everyone if they had just given the option to configure it for 'desktop/laptop' and 'tablet' mode. The UI aside it's very much the same as 7.

Not really. Grey is bland honestly and I always hate having to work on computers for customers and they put on the grey bland theme on 7. Its just ugly honestly.

And what do you consider the "real" Start Button? The 9X/ME/2K button? The Vista button? 7? The one in 8.1 is a real Start Button. It just doesn't have a "real" start menu and honestly I am fine.

I asked a customer today who was asking about Windows 8 if on XP they used the Start Menu a lot. This is a average customer, not an enthusiast like ourselves. They said they don't really use it except to access the administrative functions of Windows. And now all you have to do is right click and it all comes up even with admin rights enabled by default. That's all I ever used it for. Now I press the Windows key and then type what I want, and it pops right up. No need to stare at small menus/folders or sort through alphabetized folders.

Honestly it kills me how the EU did that to Windows 7 yet has still refrained from going after Apple and forcing them to add a choice of browsers and remove iTunes.

But hey, if it lines the EUs pockets then its ok.

8.1 has a Start Button. I think you mean menu. And you don't have to suffer Metro in 8.1. Just set it to default to desktop apps and set the start button to go to all apps. Same thing as a start menu.

That only happens IF you OC using the BCLK. If you have an SB/IB CPU and overclock with the multi or a Haswell/SB-e and OC with the multi it wont happen. If you change the BCLK however it will.

I am sure MS will fix it but honestly most PCs are online 24/7 and sync to the internet clock every 30 minutes so its not a big deal unless someone is offline long enough to not sync with the internet time and then uploads a benchmark while also disabling internet time syncing.

To be honest, I'm offline almost every weekend but really that's not what I was getting at. I was just saying that this is something that microsoft should have fixed before they released the OS. I guess when they were implementing the features, they didn't properly observe the disadvantages that each change could bring.

iamadev

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
I gotta say I am with JimmySmitty as well.

I moved to win8 last October and I have to say I just do not understand what all of the whining is about. There is nothing that takes me any longer in win8 than any other version of windows. In fact, almost everything is much quicker.

Yeah it is a shame that you can't have all of the control panel options in the start menu like you could previously but right-click then click and you are in control panel anyway so it really isn't any further away and that is about the only thing I have seen people articulate as to why they hate the start screen. It is after all just a full screen start menu.

With the search improvements in 8.1 things with the start screen are going to be getting better but I wholeheartedly expect for most to just look at it and say "UGH" and walk away because of all of the bad things they have read online.

I have yet to see a real reason that the start screen is so terrible and lets face it, most of us are not spending any meaningful time in the start menu. I used to use the start menu for loading apps back in XP and before, since then I have switched to have most apps in taskbar so I have limited use for the start screen. Most of the use of a PC is done outside of the start screen/menu.

The most annoying thing about Windows 8 is having to read the same posts about it over and over from people that don't seem to understand that the start screen/menu is simply a way to open apps, apps that load quicker and run more smoothly in win8.

monkeycmonkeydu

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
"The most annoying thing about Windows 8 is having to read the same posts about it over and over from people that don't seem to understand that the start screen/menu is simply a way to open apps, apps that load quicker and run more smoothly in win8."

The most annoying thing is explaining over and over to fanboys that an OS is to do work not spend hours or days figuring out ways to do stuff you used to be able to do without any issues previously. It should work right out of the box, better than the old version, be more capable of multi-tasking not less, and actually use the graphics and hardware improvements in my $3500 desktop.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011

I'll tell you where the whine is coming from. It's from the self proclaimed 'enthusiasts' who think enthusiast means just sitting on PC all day, same people who have never bothered to learn keyboard shortcuts.
Control panel is as far as pressing winkey + x > p which is about 3 seconds faster than clicking through start menu.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

What amazes me is peoples' inability to admit that there are a lot of people out there who quite like Windows 8. I don't like Mac OS but I don't feel the need to parade into the comments on every article about it and proclaim it garbage, since I know it works well for a lot of people... Nor am I dense enough to assume that anyone who comes out to disagree with me after I were to do so would be paid by Apple. Windows 8 works *spectacularly* on specific types of hardware and it is a good desktop solution - every bit as functional as previous versions of Windows, just with a poorly documented interface differences. I quite like it - and MS doesn't pay me a dime. They just released software I like.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
#1 RTM is just that this time around in that it's a Release To Manufacturing sufficient to have appropriate drivers and software tuned for release in October.

#2 the RTM is not the "Gold" release which will occur via update in mid-October.

#3 manufacturers are ticked off in that they don't get the final bits with sufficient time to qualify things properly for their business-class models. So things may be more stalled than Microsoft wants because of that.

nevilence

Distinguished
May 8, 2012
What so many pro win8 people fail to realise is that it’s not about the ability to make win 8 mimic win 7, it’s not about short cuts, or look-a-like start buttons and menus. It’s about the fact that they changed the look of the OS so completely that it scared off the most common users. The users who make up sooo many of windows sales. Those of you who are pro 8 are probably right about most of your arguments, and I personally have never debated the under the hood improvements. And I can admit that at first I was one of those ignorant users, who hated without knowledge, then I changed my approach, downloaded 8.1 tried it extensively. Still don’t like it, but at least I am now educated on the matter. My point is win 8 failed because they changed the entire windows experience and that scared common users away, it would be like apple redesigning iOS to look and act like an android phone and expecting everyone to just like it and keep buying. It too would fail. As pointed out a thousand times before, all it would of needed was a choice, classic desktop or metro UI, and I would have bought it (real classic desktop too, not imitation desktop/start menu).

And before anyone tries to point out that windows 8 didn’t “fail” I mean in comparison to previous incarnations of the OS such as 7 or XP

Max_x2

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013
Guys, seriously... Complaining on Windows 8 just shows how bad you are when put out of your comfort zone. Just learn how to use it with, say, tutorials on Tom's, youtube videos, etc. Once you'll be comfortable with the new UI, you'll wonder why you didn't made the switch before.

slyu9213

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
God some people (the majority in this case) complain too much. Nothing works out of the box perfectly. Not everything is meant to work the same. Change happens and in this case people are too scared of change. Windows 8 was a good change for me. Performance increased overall and my workflow increased. It does not take long to learn a new operating system. If it takes you weeks to months to learn a new UI/operating system then something is wrong in that particular situation. It shows laziness, stupidity (not really) or you just don't want to put time into it. If you don't want to learn the OS then skip it. Why complain? So you can ruin the experience for people who actually approve of it?

Tutorials are not required to learn how to use Windows 8. Everything can be learned over a short time. Tutorials can help if you really can't help yourself. Yea locations for settings have changed but it's not much harder to get to.

Windows Key + X will let you get into Program and Features, Mobility Center, Power Options, Event viewer, System, Device Manager, Disk Management, Computer Management, Command prompt (admin), Task Manager, Control panel, File explorer, search, run, desktop.

There's an easier way. Just go to the metro UI and start typing the name of the program or setting. It'll pop up almost instantaneously.

All I can say is that the people who aren't willing to work for improvements are like the people who label themselves as "Technologically Advanced" in Newegg reviews and then don't know basic things like...PCI vs PCI E, CPU vs GPU, HDD vs SDD, GHz vs GB, RAM vs ROM.

nevilence

Distinguished
May 8, 2012
slyu9213 you tailor your answer as if everyone is tech savy, just because you know your way around a computer doesnt mean that every tom, dick and harry does (well maybe tom as this is his website). but the majority of windows users probably dont even know how to change resolution or what it is(or other simple tasks), and you expect them to use, shortcuts, control panel and command prompt. Windows 8 is easy mode for the tech savy, hell I wouldnt call myself overly tech savy at all and I found it easy, but even my limited tech knowledge tends to dwarf "common folk". All you pro 8ers need to realise that the majority of users are those common folk and they arent interested in learning how to use a computer the way you do, they just want facebook, youtube and a folder for their photos. Yes 8 gives them this, but not in a way that they are even remotely familiar with.

Its that simple, I have used it and I can learn it, but I dont want to, just like the majority of people out there not switching.

So much for me being quiet :p

Max_x2

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013

Well, i don't know many Dick and Harrys who are on tom's in the first place. Mostly know-it-all Bobs, which finally don't know shit if they can't even lear through tutorials and youtube videos how to use Windows 8, whick isn't that much different from seven.

With 8, shortcuts will get you a long way, 1st of all. Alt-F4 will make it easy to shut down and reboot, Windows-x will get you to that menu where you can go in the control panel and stuff like that, hitting the windows key will get you to the start menu, where you can search for pretty much any option, program or file that's on your computer (that one makes life so much easier). Plus you get all the improvements that are under the hood with that Windows 8. As an example, try to open everything... I mean EVERYTHING, desktop programs and metro apps, and see how little RAM it takes.

Ok, i have a very potent PC with an ssd, but still. If you have a dual (or triple) monitor setup, you get the taskbar on all screens natively, and you can remove them very easily, should you want to. And then, that moment when you need to mount an image, and are able to mount it natively on 8. Not to mention that the boots are faster, and even faster if you disable GUI boot in msconfig, which only removes the "rolling ball" from under the flag. Talking about msconfig, that's probably the only reason why you'll to go there, since the task manager is so much better and complete, with direct access to startup programs without going in msconfig.

And now let's talk about that smooth UI, even in desktop. Aero was getting pretty old and outdated if you ask me. Alright, i have to admit that i'm not using the metro UI fullscreen apps much myself because, even with two screens, i prefer to see my taskbars. But you don't have to use it. It's there, use it if you want.

To be honest, i see that 8.1 update with great fear that it will just take the Windows 8 experience that i've learned to love after little time using it, to that old, outdated seven once again. I do not wish to see the windows flag in the lower left corner once again. That's an insult to people's intelligence.

So anyway, that was my two cents.

nevilence

Distinguished
May 8, 2012
I never said it cant be learnt, it can be and I did. Still didnt like it. But ask me how many Youtube videos I had to watch to operate win 7? Zero is the answer if you hadnt guessed that already. That is not to say that things like multi screen taskbars arent cool, and I did notice a few things that were very cool. But the overall experience felt laboured and I still didnt like it. And again I will reiterate, I will never argue win 7 vs win 8 performance, I have no doubt it is better under the hood, but what further increase do I really need when my win 7 PC boots in 15 seconds? and its not even a slightly beasty machine.

The facts are this, windows 8 has about 5-6% market share, not much more than vista, less than OS X, and is not even comparable to win xp and 7 with 30+ and 40+ percent respectively. This is a direct reflection of a bad UI, and bad descions. The figures speak for themselves, very few people like it. And that is my arguement in a nutshell, not that it isnt good, simply that people dont like it, me included

Status
Not open for further replies.