Windows 8.1 - Headphone volume keeps reverting to being too low

kefkaisthepwnage

Reputable
Feb 7, 2015
Hey all,

I've been using a Windows 8 HP Envy laptop for a while just fine. It used to be that I could hear headphone output just fine even at 2-3% volume.

However, a few days ago I went into the beats audio manager and hit "Restore defaults," and now the headphone output is at the exact opposite state - I can barely hear it at all if I crank every last output setting up to 100%, and it's completely inaudible otherwise.

I've checked the usual culprits - driver updates, skype, etc - and none seem to be causing it. The typical fix (uncheck enhancements under speaker properties) doesn't seem to exist in 8.1.

Out of desperation, I system restored and it reverted to its original state; however, every time I restart the computer after a restore the headphone jack volume goes back to being super low.

I know it's not a hardware issue because the jack works fine on the Linux partition.

I'm honestly stumped here. I think it might be directing the audio oddly when something is in the jack, but I have no idea how to change that in 8.1 and I can't find much on 8.1 in general online. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If it's of any use, I used to be able to see headphones under playback devices, but now I only see speakers/HP - I don't know if anything changed there.

tabby_60

Reputable
Mar 15, 2015

I have the exactly same issue with my windows Tab 8.1...I tried a lot of things but nothing works...
Is there anyone who figured out what the problem exactly is??