Windows 8.1 Install from USB - Black Screen, no cursor

Rainbowtrout11

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
Hey guys, I've been looking around and no threads here actually solved my problem but if it exists, I apologize.

I downloaded windows 8.1 from microsoft for a new computer. It's custom build so there is nothing to boot too or anything to upgrade or anything like that.

Windows 8.1 is on a usb. I tried both the USB and the ISO option on the site. The iso when I try to boot to it gives me a compatibility error.

Anyway, with the USB packed with 8.1, I go into my bios. There are two options. One has the USB name, and one has the USB name with Partition 1 at the end.

I booted it the first time, I don't remember to which, but it worked. But then it froze before I could start the installation and I had to reboot.

Since then, partition one boots straight to a black screen with no cursor or underscore or anything like that. Regular USB boots to the windows logo, then a black screen with nothing on it.

I've been at this for days and microsoft support has done nothing but given me the download link over and over.

Can anyone help out? I'm really close to getting this thing working and this setback is a bit frustrating.

Also, I don't own a disc drive so I can only do it through USB for now. I'd like to troubleshoot those issues.

Thank you.

Solution
It may be hardware related... maybe the Hard Drive or RAM, single channel.

1. Try formatting in NTFS from Linux with Gparted partition manager and see if it makes a diference

2. Scan the HDD for defects with the Linux Live tool in the boot menu option "Check Disk for defects", follow with "test memory"

3. At this point, a better chance of success would be using the HDD (4GB partition) to create the Windows installer.

4. Try the RAM module on different mobo slots, and if you have another RAM module, try it with dual channel RAM.

5. Could be BIOS mode is causing it... check this subject for coincidences.

Windows 7: UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 7 with...

Rainbowtrout11

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
Intel Core i3 613 6100 skylake processor
Hitachi 1tb HDD
Gigabyte h170m-d Motherboard
Crucial Ballistic 1x 4gb stick
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650
Seasonic m12 II bronze EVO edition PSU, 520w

Thanks!

possible that the iso doesn't support skylake, initially only win10 would, MS relented and allowed 7/8.1 but the ISO changed. Bit hazy on it, where'd you get the ISO from?

I think that there is something you have to add to the ISO, check your Mobo manufacturer.

Your problem may be due to using a 3.0 USB port(?) which requires drivers to work normally... if you've done that, use a 2.0 USB port instead... or read on for an insallation alternative.

You may want to avoid using the USB and use a 3-4 GB partition (depending on iso size) on the SSD connected internally or through USB from another computer... (the computer you used to build the USB)... and using Universal USB Installer Maker (with support for up to Windows 10) which can detect all drives and partitions to create the Windows installer and makes that partition active so it boots as any USB or DVD Windows installer... installation is slightly quicker and error free. Once all is done you can format the Windows installer partition or leave it for recovery.

Universal USB Installer
https://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

Updated:
Same principle is creating a Windows Recovery Partition with EasyBCD, to install Windows from. The method is a bit different so you can choose the one you find easier or more convenient.

Windows 8 Bootable Recovery Partition (applies to any Windows version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv9Iqhg1tVM

Create Bootable Recovery Partition in Windows 7 (also applies to any windows version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcsVt3rwyRA

EasyBCD Community Edition
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/EasyBCD.shtml

Rainbowtrout11

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015

I got it from the windows website.. It's the official ISO. I also tried, like I said, the USB option. There were two choices, I think for USB and for CDs but I tried both.

Rainbowtrout11

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015

I'll try that but for the moment, usb is all I've got. Is it possible that your method could work if I'm doing it with a flash drive?

Yes it should work as well from any installation USB drive of at least 4GBs. My idea was to bypass the USB issues which should not be present with a HDD/SSD used as the installer drive.

USB installer issues as the one you're having are generally due to USB installer creating tool errors and Universal USB installer maker as well as EasyBCD are good programs that never fail, so their chances of creating a working USB Windows installer are much better.

Rainbowtrout11

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
Okay, so I downloaded linux onto my PC. Currently am trying to DL windows 10 onto it without the need to boot to anything.

Tried windows 10 on usb, had the same issue so I don't think it has to do with the windows compatibility. I've used several different USBs as well.

It may be hardware related... maybe the Hard Drive or RAM, single channel.

1. Try formatting in NTFS from Linux with Gparted partition manager and see if it makes a diference

2. Scan the HDD for defects with the Linux Live tool in the boot menu option "Check Disk for defects", follow with "test memory"

3. At this point, a better chance of success would be using the HDD (4GB partition) to create the Windows installer.

4. Try the RAM module on different mobo slots, and if you have another RAM module, try it with dual channel RAM.

5. Could be BIOS mode is causing it... check this subject for coincidences.

Windows 7: UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 7 with
http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/200685-possible-ram-issue-win7-install.html

Boot to UEFI Mode or Legacy BIOS mode
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825112.aspx

Solution

TRENDING THREADS