Windows 8.1 Keeps Crashing (Disk at 100%)

ThatKidNextDoor

Reputable
Jul 17, 2015
Hello,

Recently Windows 8.1 on my PC has started crashing about 15 seconds after I login. I have fixed this issue 2 times before by updating Windows, but this time there is nothing to update. Is it because my Disk Usage is at 100%?
Please help.

P.S:
This is the crash message:

Microsoft Windows

The application is not responding. The program may
respond again if you wait.

Do you want to end this process?
(End Process) (Cancel)

Solution
Since you can't really figure out which applications crash your Windows, remove and uninstall everything you don't need. Then, try again.

In addition to that, you can also open "System Configuration" by typing msconfig in command mode or Windows Search and go to "Startup" tab to check what applications and processes are opened as the Windows starts. Anything that seems to be malware or not necessary can be unchecked to make Windows start faster and potentially more stable with fewer processes.

meaga1n

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015
I've had this problem (without the error message) numerous times on various unrelated systems with Windows 8.1 and I personally advise:
1) remove all junk, go into task manager and see if a specific program is using a lot of disk bandwidth
2) refresh your PC
3) upgrade to Windows 10, keep only files
4) reinstall Windows 10

However, the problem always came back to me after this so on all the systems I just installed a SSD, reinstaaled Windows 10, and the problem was gone.

Sorry not to be of much help but I've found SSD + reinstall to be the best solution

George Phillips

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015
Since you can't really figure out which applications crash your Windows, remove and uninstall everything you don't need. Then, try again.

In addition to that, you can also open "System Configuration" by typing msconfig in command mode or Windows Search and go to "Startup" tab to check what applications and processes are opened as the Windows starts. Anything that seems to be malware or not necessary can be unchecked to make Windows start faster and potentially more stable with fewer processes.

Solution