Windows 8.1 key

Oct 12, 2018
hello, i want to install windows 8.1 on one of my laptop, been a long time since i used that os, i downloded the iso on microsoft website but unfortunately i dont have a key...

where can i buy a genuine key?, i only need a key.

or can i use 8.1 forever without activation? i think you can on windows 10...

thanks.

USAFRet

Titan

Win 8.1 will not run "forever" without a license key. You get 30 days.
Install and run Win 10, and just leave it unactivated until such time as you wish to purchase a valid license.

Nov 4, 2018
Please for the love of god, don't install windows 10. It is the worst operating system ever built, its sluggish, it's intrusive and so forth it was designed from the ground up to include spyware and one of the problem that gives is its making your cpu run 50% slower compared to say running windows 8. You can not turn of automatic updates, if your running a mobile connection it will chew up your bandwidth. If you have a choice Windows vista, 7, 8 or 8.1 is the only windows operating system you should ever use for the foreseeable future.

USAFRet

Titan

"50% slower" ?

I don't suppose you have any documentation on this, do you?
Some tested results from...anywhere?

"Vista" ? Really?

Nov 4, 2018
If anyone wants a hassle free, efficiency computer running at optimum level experience, listen. I've owned many, many computers running Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 and compared to Windows 10 this has lead me to believe two thing, avoid windows 10, and everyone else is either lying or lacking in experience of how a windows 10 operating system should function' using at least an average cpu and ram installed on there computer.

For the topic of Vista, since USAFRet question marked it. Obviously it was released back in late 2007, I won't deny it is a hogging resource software ( but that downfall only applys if your using a weak cpu, low ram )
Ultimatley after having countless conversations or disagreements with people the end explanation is the majority of people that was using Vista used cheap computers which left them with a bad experience, they can't be convinced it was a better OS over XP because only personal experience with convince them that.

I'm not going to continue this conversation, if your reading this avoid windows 10 please for your own good, prehaps if your spending three thousand dollas on a new computer you may not notice windows 10 restricting the efficiency of your cpu working at maximum ability, but for anyone else out there reading this, use caution obtaining a windows 10 laptop / desktop it will be slow the frustration it will cause is colossal.

The good news is if the computer is running a intel cpu you can install and run windows 7, 8 or 8.1
just fine, and you'll get a better, smoother, hassle free as well as a spyware free experience, have fun people.

performance wise its similar to 8.x, vista/7 was slow poke...well they did run fast when fresh installed, but over time they became sluggish on their own same as in XP...8+ runs same as from day one install

automatic updates u can fully disable in admin policies

for metered connection u should set up your network as metered and disable p2p for windows file sharing and disable win store auto updates and onedrive

I agree about the data harvesting but it's nothing Google hasn't been doing for ten years or more.

That said, negating all the defaults settings in Settings>Privacy, then download and install Spybot Anti-Beacon. That gives you the faciity to immunise the system and the programme will reimmunise all by itself after every Windows Update.

As to someone who doesn't know how to prevent said Updates makes me suspicious of someone who lacks in experience.

Hint - start by learning how to enable gpedit.msc in Windows 10 Home.

USAFRet

Titan
prehaps if your spending three thousand dollas on a new computer you may not notice windows 10 restricting the efficiency of your cpu working at maximum ability

A claim of "50% slower" should really be backed up with some actual numbers.

I guess I must be richer than I thought, and all my systems, including the little Asus Transformer, cost over $3k.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Please for the love of God do not listen to this person who clearly has no idea what they are talking about.

to get back on the original subject if you have a windows 8,1 license , when you install windows 10 just enter your windows 8,1 license it will reconise and accept it and you windows 10 will be registered.

and yes I just did this 4 days ago.

ref: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/does-windows-81-product-key-works-for-windows-10/93119e2f-219a-41da-abf8-7dd2c4557a9d

As for the other subject, if I was you I would ignore the rambling of the man with no idea what they are talking about. I Run windows 10 on a Q8300/8GB DDR-800MHz System and it runs faster than with windows 7 or 8 on it. so if you have a modern pc (less than 4 years) it should be a breeze to use.