Windows 8.1 laptop black screen

astrofighter122

Honorable
Mar 31, 2015
Hey guys, my friend's laptop recently keeps getting black screens after logging into the user account, and only a movable cursor appears. We already tried using system restore to get to a better state, but that didn't work. Any ideas?

Solution
- I would start by seeing if you can log into the account in safe mode. If you do not know how to get there, interrupting Windows while it is on the Windows loading screen a 3 times (just hold the power switch) will trigger boot options. If you can load into safe mode that is great and it gives you a place it start and LOTS of options for fixing the boot problem.

- If you cannot boot into safe mode, you are looking at Windows installation to solve the issue.

- Please give laptop model name/number.

jr9

Estimable
- I would start by seeing if you can log into the account in safe mode. If you do not know how to get there, interrupting Windows while it is on the Windows loading screen a 3 times (just hold the power switch) will trigger boot options. If you can load into safe mode that is great and it gives you a place it start and LOTS of options for fixing the boot problem.

- If you cannot boot into safe mode, you are looking at Windows installation to solve the issue.

- Please give laptop model name/number.

Solution