Windows 8.1 May Cause Mouse Lag in Some Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Does anybody know if Explorer.exe in Windows 8.1 supports file paths longer than 255 characters? NTFS does, a lot of software that runs in windows does, but Explorer.exe doesn't in Windows 8.0 and earlier. So, with deeply nested folders and files I have to use TotalCommander to copy files.

Is Windows 8.1 different?

sirskeetsalot2013

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
I don't have any mouse lag issues on my lovely windows 8.

anyone who Praises 7 like Pyromanica needs to step off his high horse, and drink some Ajax water. Derrr.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
All the more I play my games with the 360 controller so i dom't have to deal with this kinda crap. I like the updates W 8.1 put in place so far so good here.

althaz

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
I have been playing Human Revolution the last couple of days (since updating to 8.1) with zero increase in mouse lag. So I suspect this might be an issue only for a small percentage of people.

And anyone who considers themselves a computer enthusiast would be able to evolve to use 8/8.1 without any issues as that's the name of the game, change.

If people expected Windows to stay looking like 7 for ever, they haven't been doing this long enough.

I agree that it may also depend on the hardware as well. My friend updated to 8.1 using TechNet the same time I did and in TF2 he said he had to double his DPI and it still felt laggy.

I had no issues with TF2 in the preview or official release of 8.1.

He has a Razr Naga and a Razr keyboard, I have a G600 and a Corsair K90. It could even be driver related (for the mouse) as I know he has problems trying to use Logitech software/drivers for his Logitech G35 headset with his Razr software/drivers.

So it may be that certain hardware needs drivers updated or maybe MS can fix it on their end.

Scotty99

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
This is happening in world of warcraft also. I have 7 but my guildmate experienced this when he upgraded to 8.1. Im gonna stick with 7 til i build a new system next year.

Do you happen to know what mouse your friend has?

Interestingly enough, my friend had experienced lag in TF2 and is using a Razr Deathadder 2013.

But I have had no issues with mouse lag in any games (TF2, Crysis 3, BF4, BL2, Diablo 3 and many more) in 8.1 preview or official.

I do have a G600 however.

I think we need more input but I think it could be an issue with drivers more than 8.1.

someperson123

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
With a MS Sidewinder X3 at any DPI and my motherboard (ASRock H87 Fatal1ty) boosting the mouse polling rate, I notice no lag in Warframe, LoL, Dota 2, Vindictus, Battlefield 3 & 4 beta, and Rome II TW. I've been running Windows 8.1 RTM since it was released on MSDN a couple of months ago.

Now, before I boosted the mouse polling rate, I did notice some mouse lag issues, but was right after I cleaned my dusty glass desk, so I need to faster polling for a laser mouse to consistently read on a clean and clear surface. Lol.

dustructo

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
WIn 8.1 is flippin awesome. I waited until the 8.1 preview before making the change from 7

8 was always a good lean fast OS it just lacked the core enterprise features and MS learned from this big mistake. Any one saying 7 is better might as well go drink the juice.

tydalwave

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2006
Issues with my mouse in L4D/L4D2 & DAoC. I thought it was just my Razer Naga (Which seems to have issues of its own before the move to 8.1), but now I feel a little better that it wasn't just my system. Really enjoying 8.1, just hope this mouse issue gets some attention.

You are the third person with a Razer that I have seen with this issue.

I checked their site and they don't have an "official" 8.1 driver but they have an 8 driver.

It also seems to be only in some games for some people.

Try removing the Razer software and drivers and use the built in drivers. That's a good way to test.

Since TF2 is the same game engine as the games you listed and I don't have the issue, it may be driver related.

If it is a 8.1 issue, then I am sure it will be. If its a driver issue then it may not be.

teodoreh

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
So much fuzz about Windows 8.1, but in the end, no real difference from Windows 8 interface. If MS had real competion, the wouldn't dare in their dreams to play with customer's nerves...

Barfish88

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Also thought windows 7 was best, tried windows 8 which I didnt like. But Windows 8.1 is awesome. I get this lag in Wow which is irritating but I am sure a fix is incoming so I will bear with it. Using a Cyborg Rat 7

redstar

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001

I am still on win 8.1 pro + media preview and can chime in on this game. I have no lag issues at all and it plays just fine.

except for the odd time where I will suddenly be looking straight up at the sky. It is so minor and rare not to be really noticed..until I noticed one other person describe same thing.

I am using a g300 Logitech mouse. I do not play the other games mentioned ... lol but 40+ others.. no worries :)

Status
Not open for further replies.