Windows 8.1 May Reintroduce Boot-To-Desktop Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
It has nothing to do with "at your own pace". Some people, like myself just plain don't like tiles even after having giving them a shot.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Good luck to M$. I really don't think they understand the market place. Poor sales, IMHO, are being driven by the fact that businesses will not spend the money on it after finally having spent a considerable amount of money to upgrade to 7. Maybe doz 9 or 10 will be the next best seller.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
You know what's gonna happen, people are gonna rejoice, then realize that they are pressing the start button to go to the screen to open an app, and then they'll say, "man, this sucks!"

onichikun

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
The issue isn't with their push to create a new style of computing across devices, but more of the poor execution on the desktop front. The metro-slapped-onto-desktop approach was a bad idea, and I feel like their innovation was just half assed. They created a start menu replacement that lacked any benefits for a parallel workspace, so they just left in the traditional windows desktop.

twelve25

Distinguished
Windows 8 really has a lot going for it. So I think Microsoft would be wise to give consumers the choice of UI, while still allowing access to the Metro UI if they want to run marketplace apps. More choice and letting the customer tailor the system to their need/wants is not a bad thing.

pyrotek85

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
"Many people may disagree, but one of Microsoft's biggest mistakes with Windows 8 is forcing desktop and laptop customers to boot straight into the new Modern UI overlay."

Who disagrees? Practically everyone is saying that Metro, while not inherently bad, should be optional, particularly for desktop users. If I'm not mistaken the feedback they got during testing noted this too, so they shouldn't be surprised at the outcome.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... and a improved win7 style start button with proper indexed search... and aero or improved something... this win8 desktop theme is ugly...

goodegg

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Why can't we have both at the same time?? Why can't Metro sit INSIDE my desktop as an active background? That's what Metro seems to be anyway, is a bunch of active widgets. It seems like this should not be difficult to make happen. Best of both worlds. Metro for those who like it, but same old desktop for people who don't.

ssdpro

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
If they are kind enough to give you a choice, this is golden. I don't want this through an obscure registry mod; don't be embarrassed to give me the option. Apple "knows" what its users want, MS gives you the choice. If you take away that choice, you are not much different - and PC sales will reflect it.

G

Not going to happen guys and gals..Microsoft is phasing out the desktop

gnodeb

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
It's strange they didn't made it optional from the beginning but, for me, it is even more surprising how many people have a problem with pressing Win+D.

gnodeb

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
It's strange they didn't made it optional from the beginning but, for me, it is even more surprising how many people have a problem with pressing Win+D.

doogansquest

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
So people complained when Microsoft hadn't done much to alter their OS in decades. They also applauded Apple (who never changes their also-stolen OS) for keeping theirs the same.

doogansquest

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
The same people complain that Microsoft wasn't compatible across all device platforms. They applaud Apple for having synchronized integration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS