Windows 8.1 May Reintroduce Boot-To-Desktop Mode

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doogansquest

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Microsoft releases a new version of Windows that is lightweight, secure, simple enough for a 4 year old to figure out, changes on what was the same for decades, and plays nice with all other devices. Now people complain that they got exactly what they wanted.

logainofhades

Titan

Apple synchronizes well, but they were smart enough not to make iOS and OS X the same. They did what works best for each type of product and made them work well together. M$'s approach is make everything the same. As much as I despise Apple, they did it right.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I wouldn't count on the return of BtD mode yet to retail and OEM versions. M$ has a strong financial incentive to drive users to their app store. It may be something to pacify large enterprise customers that are refusing to upgrade or buy subscriptions due to perceived retraining costs. Too early to predict much yet based on this one rumor. They've been really stubborn before about design decisions although there are many OEMs and financial pundits blaming them for the current stagnant PC sales.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Is that for people too stupid to click on desktop mode? I am sticking with Windows 7 for different reasons.. No improvements to media center.... no sale. Drive pooling is cool.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Is that for people too stupid to click on desktop mode? I am sticking with Windows 7 for different reasons.. No improvements to media center.... no sale. Drive pooling is cool.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011

Probably true, but you'll never hear anyone here admit that, at least not for a good long while after its done (if it's done). It's just human nature - we in general don't adapt well. We like to change things to our liking, and will stick to the way we've done things no matter what anyone says. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad. People became very accustomed to the start button and the desktop over the last near 20 years.

Don't know that half-stepping back is going to help MSFT much, but they'll probably try to say that they've at least done something. Problem is that if they don't satisfy critics, then they might end up worse off than if they just let it all sit. Then again, with the regular, yearly, refresh/update of the OS they'll be bale to take another bite at the apple in only twelve months, as opposed to holding off for an entirely new OS in three years or so.

My personal view is that the OS has suffered two problems: a poor PC market to start with, and a lot of bad publicity. The power of the internet is vast. With it being blamed for a continuation of a trend that predated it, and the overall negative push by those who don't like touch integration into their non-mobile devices or the interface since before launch, I know a lot of people who don't want to even give it a try because it just sounds so bad.

Whether you personally like 8 or not, it's relatively obvious at this point that MSFT has to do something to improve reception, because even if there are a good chunk of us who like the OS the way it is, regardless of the reason it's not selling very well. This change they will be able to promote and sell as an improvement, and they hope it will mean increased sales.

MS could have given the option to boot to desktop from the start. People that wanted to use it would have been happy, people that didn't want to use it would have been happy. Why take an OPTION away? You only stand to lose if you do that.

b23h

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
Having a shared design language (Metro/Modern UI) across all platforms is not a bad move. However removing customer choice and configuration ability is a bad move. So while Metro is not necessarily my favorite, and I do spend most of my time on the desktop, I do not consider Metro a failure.

I do however think that allowing one to boot straight into the desktop would be appropriate, and also reintroducing the start button for desktop users would also be wise.

Microsoft, please make it so.

b23h

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
also I consider the idea that MS is phasing out the desktop because some options are moving from the desktop control panel to the configuration part of Metro to be overstating the case. Whether or not you have a touchscreen or not, if one did and was using the OS with a touchscreen one would expect to be able to configure using your fingers. This, and the idea of consolidating configuration settings in one place instead of two or more, is I expect the main driving force behind moving some configuration settings to metro from the desktop control panel. I expect that is a more reasonable analysis than to make the assumption that the desktop is being phased out.

braitBR

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
I've challenged myself to get used to the new Start Screen, and I did. I was happy with it. Then I decided to test some Start Menu alternatives (and It StartIsBack) and then I realized how good having a start menu was, and I never looked back.

Truckinupga

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
Microsoft should have learned by now that biting the hand that feeds you is not a good idea, Although I use Windows 8 (With Classic Shell) I do so with a start menu and option to boot to desktop. They are not going to force people into an O.S. they are not happy with. They have forgot the main rule in sales is to keep the customer happy.

ik242

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
clear indication that users are not ready for big change and that someone screwed up. MS keeps on making one blunder after another with their tinkering and tailoring of the OS. WinXP is still the best OS they made (for me). I don't want to see more interface changes, more hotkeys etc. I want to continue using what I've grown accustomed to over past 30 years. KEEP THE INTERFACE SAME. if you want to explore, make it an option (skin or theme).

supr

Honorable
May 6, 2012
been keeping busy rolling back work laptops over the past few months to windows 7, at least microsoft is giving me something to do :D

towm65

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
I only created an account so I could vote on someone else's post. Alas, you've gotten my email address now and I have no vote buttons. I think I've been gyped.

logainofhades

Titan

That is how I feel about Windows 7. I cannot even stand XP anymore. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.