Windows 8.1 May Reintroduce Boot-To-Desktop Mode

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
Absolutely no reason to "upgrade" to Windows 8 at this point. I only see negatives from the new OS so far so what is the point? Productivity goes to hell with the new layout.
Newer does not always mean better.

@Toms: Do you guys know your posting window from the story has major issues? It keeps saying "An error has occured." (yes occurred is misspelled in the message...) and refuses to post my reply until I go into the forum post itself.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Maybe while they're at it they can address a far more problematic issue. Such as giving the user absolute control over exactly what can access the Internet, and having everything set to deny all by default. Such as the BITS service. I can't count the hundreds of megabytes of cap the BITS service has wasted because it keeps turning itself back on despite me stopping it and disabling it at every turn.

Oh and another issue, maybe they'll allow us to "skip drive repair" on boot if Windows detects a drive that "needs" repair. Maybe if Windows 8 had been able to skip repairs it wouldn't have destroyed my secondary drive's XP boot.

A built-in method to disable the pants-on-head retarded ribbon in explorer would have been nice too.
Still no new filesystem? We're still on NTFS? Really? Not even a hint of ext4 support?
No classic (XP) control panel, no classic task manager. Sigh.

PS. Toms, your new comment system sucks! (As did your old one)

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
The only thing MSFT cares about is its bottom line. Proof? MSFT has ignored what its users have been telling it for about a year now and is only starting to make changes after decreased sales.

Mikki Dean

Honorable
Apr 17, 2013
If this is a trial balloon or a way to prop up a sinking ship.... Dear Microsoft, Please stop trying to dictate how we users use Windows and make it flexible and able to support different uses, on different hardware, for different folks. Mayby you haven't heard that being tolerant means you allow others to be different. Now go wipe your ... I mean swipe your screen and let the ones who wanna start on a button start back at the desktop and we can all live together in the land of OZ be we a munchkin, a cowardly lion, a scarecrow or a blow-hard wizard.

Status
Not open for further replies.