Windows 8.1 May Update Apps in Background

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndreT

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2012
I play online games and I do not want my computer to just start randomly taking up bandwidth when I have no control over it doing so. Users better be able to turn this 'feature' off. More reason to stay with Win 7 I guess.

kickmyjiminy

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
For me, all background updates mean is that it will do it at the most inconvenient time possible, like loading a game, trying to write an email, or work. I always set it to ask to do something first, not to just automatically do it.

InvalidError

Titan
Yay, more background stuff causing "phantom" HDD activity, as if Win8 wasn't already annoying enough with that.
I really miss the Win9x days where you could still choose at install-time how much bloatware you wanted and where to put it.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Not sure I like this for reasons already mentioned by others. It'll be fine for 90% of the people out there but for that 10% that do bandwidth sensitive things or actually want to select what they want to update this is meh. Updates that break programs are at an all time high - bad time to make updates just happen.
I'd like to assume there will be an option to have this not happen, but, I guess time will tell.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
I would be surprised if there was not an option to download updates on demand just like there is now. Auto updates would work very well when contemplating the security requirements for groups of users. Do not forget that many third part applications download and install updates in the background. Normally you have to switch those features off. So if you have Win 7 it will be happening anyway.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Wouldn't it be easier and more convenient for the app it's self to notify the user that their is an update when you first start the app and give the user the option to update or not right from the program. So simple to just let the app notify the person that their is an update, when their is an update a simple box pops up letting the person their is an update to the app, and ask the user if they want to update now.

erraticfocus

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010

I'm fine with the auto update kind of behavior, as long as I can turn it off.

Your solution seems more elegant though and I hope that is how they end up going about it.

dragonx47

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Note that it says 'will allow', not 'will force'. I'm sure you'll be allowed to turn it off if you want to, just like you can shut off Windows Updates if you want to.

Matsushima

Honorable
Mar 6, 2013
This is just another example of why Windows 7 is still the best OS there is. Apart from being already a 'walled garden' platform, this will make the user be in even less control. This new feature will take up memory and internet speed, and will wreak all sorts of havoc. This like that feature in Vista where the applications you frequently open are saved in the DRAM and therefore will load faster, but only ended up eating precious memory space and slowing the system down.

HavocX

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013

This feature is still in Windows 7 (and 8). The memory used for it is just reported differently in 7 and beyond. And it works great, unused RAM is wasted RAM!

You also missed that 8.1 "will allow" automatic updating of Metro apps. This is no different from allowing Windows Update to install patches for Office on Windows 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.