[SOLVED] Windows 8.1 - no Login Screen?

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Hi

I recently got a Blue Screen of Death and ever since haven't been able to boot up properly.
I have an Intel i7 3770 / Gigabyte Z77X-D3H system running Windows 8.1.

It boots up to the purple screen; but there is no Login?

Here are some screenshots of what happened...

Any advice?

P.S - Why isn't there a dedicated Category for Windows 8 ? Seems really messed up that Win 7 and XP get one but not Win 8?
Or did I just miss it somehow?

Thank you for your help

Solution
Looks to me like you're dealing with a corrupt OS. The OS is on an SSD or HDD?

Windows 8 is the OS that the world didn't need which is what lead to the creation of Windows 8.1(which is a minor tweak of 8 but with the same innards and insecurities), however the amount of people on Windows Xp, 7 and 10 (and hopefully 11) is/was high hence their own sections. We did have a Windows 8 section that was usually full of 8.1 questions but that was taken over by Windows 10.

You missed the Windows 8 section by a few years. So your blame should be redirected elsewhere.

What BIOS version are you working with for your motherboard? Please be wary of the PCB revision number when looking your board on Gigabyte's site since some revisions of the same...

Lutfij

Titan

Windows 8 is the OS that the world didn't need which is what lead to the creation of Windows 8.1(which is a minor tweak of 8 but with the same innards and insecurities), however the amount of people on Windows Xp, 7 and 10 (and hopefully 11) is/was high hence their own sections. We did have a Windows 8 section that was usually full of 8.1 questions but that was taken over by Windows 10.

You missed the Windows 8 section by a few years. So your blame should be redirected elsewhere.

What BIOS version are you working with for your motherboard? Please be wary of the PCB revision number when looking your board on Gigabyte's site since some revisions of the same board(other chipsets) tend to have different BIOS versions listed.

Solution

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Hey Lutfij

It's on a plain old SSD.

What BIOS version are you working with for your motherboard? Please be wary of the PCB revision number when looking your board on Gigabyte's site since some revisions of the same board(other chipsets) tend to have different BIOS versions listed.

The Motherboard is Rev 1.1 (written on the board)
GA-Z77X-D3H (rev. 1.1)

I've checked their website and it looks like I have the latest normal 'stable' BIOS release from 2012?
The other 2 newer ones say they are BETAs - are they too be avoided or should I download just the latest one and somehow update that to see if that will fix my OS?

How do I do that when it's borked like this?

Click on BIOS section (can't copy a link for this)
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-Z77X-D3H-rev-11/support#support-dl-bios

I've also provided a 3 x images from the BIOS with other related info that might be important - I'm not sure?
View: https://imgur.com/a/gQYIP0M

Is that the only thing I can do to try and fix my Win 8.1?

I think you're reading a little too much into my comment - no blame - just shock and confusion.
I still think it deserves it's own category cause there are still many people who use it and it's not like it's the worst windows ever anyway (eherm Vista).

I'm going to be moving to Windows 10 with my new build - but I need to get this current install back so I can get all my stuff off it. Fingers crossed that'll happen and I'll get the chance to say goodbye via the 'click' of a format button!

cheers

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
The other 2 newer ones say they are BETAs
I'd update the BIOS with F18g and then with F18i.

somehow update that to see if that will fix my OS
Suggestions aren't magic bullets, sometimes they are but most times you won't know until you've tried it out.

It's on a plain old SSD.
Make and model of your SSD(and it's age)?

If a reinstall of the OS, after you've recreated the bootable installer anew, doesn't resolve the issue then it can very well be a hardware issue. You could try and reinstall the OS on a spare drive(that doesn't have anything of importance on it) and see if the issue persists on the test OS install.

At this point, I'm curious to know what the rest of your specs are. We know the CPU and motherboard's make and model. Please parse the make and models of:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

I need to get this current install back so I can get all my stuff off it
You didn't backup your mission critical data...prior to this? You're advised to always backup any and/or all necessary data in case something goes awry.

I'm going to be moving to Windows 10 with my new build
If your new build is happening now or in mid-2022, then you should be on Windows 10...if towards the end of 2022, then you should be on Windows 11.

Dylan Beckett

Respectable
Jul 12, 2021
Hi Lutfij

Thank you for your reply

I'm worried I 've misunderstood what you were saying earlier...

Do you think it's possible updating the Bios could bring my current windows installation back online? Cause that's what I'd really like to do to get my files.

after you've recreated the bootable installer anew

Will that help me fix the current installation? Is that to do with windows or you just mean the Bios stuff?
If you can tell me what to look up I'll get on it?

I have backed up some stuff - but I also lost one of my backup drives too.

Is updating the bios only likely to help with a fresh install?

I have a feeling it's just a bad/old harddrive rather than hardware issue?
Could be wrong - but they're pretty old!

Re specs

Antec VP-550W Strictly PSU
Samsung 128GB SSD 840W Pro SATA3 2.5"
Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) CMZ16GX3M2A1600CP Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 DIMM

Thanks again for your help

cheers