windows 8.1 not activating

xXMuzzleBrakerXx

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015
i boot from my usb, which has windows 8.1 to perform a clean install of it, and when i enter my product key, it says "The product key entered does not match any of the windows images available for installation. Enter a different product key." , when i try to install windows 8.1 activated from the Upgrade Assistant, and put my product key, it says "This product key cannot be used to install a retail version of Windows 8.1"

I got my product key from: https://www.g2a.com/microsoft-windows-8-1-standard-32-64-bit-cd-key-global.html

Solution

Yes, something can be done. You can consider this a $40 lesson in what not to buy. You just blew $40 on a non-valid key.

Likely it was an old TechNet, or MSDN, or academic, or some companies VLK. Not valid for a retail install at all, and specifically 'not for resale'.

Last year, a member here reached out to MS about G2A. They came back with an unequivocal "No, they are not a valid reseller"

If it sounds too good to be true, it almost certainly is.

xXMuzzleBrakerXx

Reputable
Feb 12, 2015

what do u mean, companies blacklisting keys bought on g2a?

McHenryB

Admirable
Sites like g2a sell non-retail keys (e.g. ones intended for developers) that shouldn't be resold. When a company such as Microsoft detects such an abuse they will blacklist that key meaning it can't be used.

As has already been said, if someone is selling software keys for a fraction of the normal retail case it is fairly obvious that something is amiss.

Try contacting them and see if they offer any guarantees. If not, chargeback on your card/paypal, and if not, be the wiser for next time, you just lost $40.

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, something can be done. You can consider this a $40 lesson in what not to buy. You just blew $40 on a non-valid key.

Likely it was an old TechNet, or MSDN, or academic, or some companies VLK. Not valid for a retail install at all, and specifically 'not for resale'.

Last year, a member here reached out to MS about G2A. They came back with an unequivocal "No, they are not a valid reseller"

If it sounds too good to be true, it almost certainly is.

Solution