Windows 8.1 or 7?

NewPCBuild

Reputable
Nov 9, 2014
Hey everyone! From what I know, Windows 8 is not longer called so as it has been updated to 8.1. And as so, it is actually much more stable than when it was first released. Hence, just a bunch of questions that I wanna ask..

1) Does the new UI take alot of adapting to? The reason I ask this is because my parents (more specifically my mom) are fairly new PC users and I'm afraid that they might have a hard time adapting again.

2) Gaming-wise,are there any differences between both OS anymore?

3) Any other reasons (such as functionality) to why would I prefer an OS over the other?

Solution

Windows 8 was never "unstable" as you suggest, many users just didn't like the UI changes. I've been using Windows 8 since it became available on...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
For your parents, Win7 would be MUCH preferred. For gaming, there's not enough difference to detect without sensitive test equipment. Many other variables will make more difference than Win7 vs Win8 in gaming. Personally, I don't care for the new interface after having tried it on a desktop, laptop, and tablet. I'm back to Win7. But some folks like Win8.1. It's easier for the very young to get used to because it resembles a phone. Here is a review you may want to read: http://www.tweakguides.com/Windows81_1.html
Koroush pretty well sums up my feelings too.

Windows 8 was never "unstable" as you suggest, many users just didn't like the UI changes. I've been using Windows 8 since it became available on Technet/MSDNAA and have had no major issues in that time.

1. Not really. It's different, but not a radical change. Windows 8.1 introduces some new options, and Windows 8.1 Update 1 further improves upon it. If it's an absolute deal breaker, there are plenty of start-menu replacements available.

2. Many games that take advantage of DirectX 11.1 or DirectX 11.2 features will perform better in Windows 8.1 (note that many device manufacturers are no longer supporting Windows 8, just Windows 8.1). A good example is Battlefield 4, it performs noticeably and measurably better in Windows 8.1

3. Windows 8 has better native driver support, which means that more devices will simply work out of the box without needing to download and install the manufacturer's drivers. It also has nice built-in antivirus and malicious software detection tools.

Solution
I am a person that doesn't like change - especially when it comes to an operating system that "works". About 2-3 months ago, I finally installed Windows 8.1 on my main computer - and with the add-on "Start8", it looks and feels almost exactly like Windows 7 (there are a few differences - but most are where you find a few of the administrative items). You have the start button, the task bar, shortcuts, everything that Windows 7 had....

As a joke - I installed Windows 8 on my wife's computer (she is really anti-change) thinking should would throw a fit....(I did it on a 2nd hard drive). After copying all her stuff over and installing the programs - she didn't even know she was running Windows 8 for almost 6 weeks....finally she asked when I had updated her....she likes it also.....

The only issues I have come across - my Epson all-in-one printer/scanner/fax had a few issues being detected (a recent update to the driver fixed this problem). I won't go back to Windows 7....

I am giving Windows 10 a test drive - and I like it even more than Windows 8 (there are a few "bugs" in the system - but it is a good OS).

99.9999999999999% of all the bitching about Windows 8 was the modern UI (the "tiles). Start 8 gets rid of them.....BTW - the other bitching I out there is drivers - and the average age of the devices are about 6-8 years old are the problems - and most of them don't have Windows 7 drivers.....

Vexillarius

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014
I'd get 8.1 and install Classic Shell or something similar. That way the UI will be almost the same as 7, but you get to take advantage of 8.1's better 'under the hood' stuff and extended support life. This way you don't have to adjust to much at all, which is great for your parents too.