Windows 8.1 or Windows 8.1 Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution

Neither one is "better" than the other, 8.1 Pro doesnt run faster or anything like that.
The difference between versions comes down to enabled features. From what I can tell, 8.1 Pro is more geared to business or IT professional usage. The main difference is networking features like being able to host remote desktop, some security like automatic encryption (which you can get 3rd party programs for anyway) and support for professional stuff like HyperV ( has to do with virtual machine's) and for dual CPU systems.

Unless your medium to high level in an IT department (in which case you should already know this), doing 3D rendering/extreme video editing on a large budget or...

iamtanz

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014

I'll be new to windows 8, right now my OS is windows 7 home premium that was preinstalled when i bought this laptop, so i bought new SSD to replaced my HDD and install a new OS.

Clicky999

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014

Whats the price for pro and just the normal one ?

iamtanz

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014

I'll be buying on Amazon

Windows 8.1 = $105
Windows 8.1 Pro = $166

Clicky999

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014

Ok tbh if you really want windows 8 go for pro I have it like I said its so much better but to be total HONIST I'm going back to windows 7 soon as I don't really like windows 8 I wasted £120 on that haha so make sure you like it first ;) have a look at some YouTube videos? But that's my opinion

If this helped click the best solution button it really helps me ;)

iamtanz

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014

Yea right, thanks for the replies. :)

alienworkshop

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
windows xp is better if you want something new. you can alter the looks with style xp, and it looks way better then windows vista, 7, 8, and 8.1. LOL! plus it has all the normal settings where you can find things a lot easier then the new os's, i find even windows 7 explorer options flaky and the rest of the new windows. that's what i'm using, windows xp, i see no reason to upgrade. also, it eats up WAY less resources then the new os's, and is way faster, overall. i find the new os's buggy and slow.

just my two cents.

USAFRet

Titan

"windows xp is better if you want something new."

You do realize that XP is 12 years old, right? And going to fall off support from Microsoft in 45 days (April 8).
It is not 'new', it is not 'faster', it is not less 'buggy'.

alienworkshop

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
uhhhhh, have you ever used windows xp? yes it is overall faster, and i do realize that it is that old, but it's still going strong if you ask me. fall off support? well, i didn't know it was going to fall off support, that's good to know, thanks for the information, but xp has already established it self as strong and still going dude, by the time xp "falls" off you already get what's after windows 8, he's wasting money this way no matter which way you look at it, and he's looking for something new. it was a pun so to speak, if you were paying attention, and more of a joke. don't take it seriously. also, did you know that bill gates did not want to release the pre beta vista when it was released, god knows what microsoft is doing about 7, 8, and 8.1. last i heard, they were kicking him out. he wanted to extend vista for like years after, so i don't trust the layout of the new os's if that's the case. all i'm saying is that the xp interface overall is superior of that to the newer ones, and yes, i studied BOTH os's and yes it is slower, i don't know what your talking about but windows 7 has this laggy feel overall and xp doesn't. same with the other newer os's. i find xp very spunky, responsive, i mean have you even used xp? it's way faster dude. i don't know what your smoking. okay fine, you got me on falling off from support, but as i said, it's MORE established then any other os to date. it's going to be around for a while still, and by the time it "FALLS OFF" the planet so to speak, a joke, which you will probably take seriously, you can look forward to windows 9 already, and maybe the speed issue would be fixed. personally i'm waiting for intel to get their act together. btw, i don't know what your talking about but the newer os's eat up so much resourches compared to xp, it's more simpler, not to mention the interface is way better and easier to find files. style xp will crush aero and the new design any day dude. and yes i have windows 7 on a desktop right here and it's really shitty. i wish i never encountered windows 7. and yes i've tried windows 8/8.1 and it's really shitty too. as i said, bill gates never wanted to release vista or that type of interface, i'll have you know that microsoft changed the whole layout on the os which makes it different.

okay, fine, i didn't know it was going to stop support,i had a feeling it was nearing the end. i mean seriously, your saying it's that old and it's still being supported, imagine how established that already is. also, just because it's going to stop support, your acting like the whole os is going to come to a solid hault, which is not true. i'm personally waiting for the next best operating system when they get their performance right. otherwise i'm never upgrading, i see no need to waste money on a slow ass os. and yes it is slower, i used ALL of them and although it's not as bad as the initial release of vista, it's still really slow dude, again, i don't know what your smoking, but it KNOWN to eat way more resources then xp ever did, in fact, i'm not sure but i think bill gates wanted to scrap the idea of a new interface regarding the hd interface setup back in the day, saying it was crappy, so yeah it wasn't bill gates's idea of a os, it really wasn't, and again, they wanted to kick him out.

i'm scratching my head wondering how you thought xp wasn't faster, that's totally not true what you said. have you used both of them? and it really is better with all i said above. and i was refering to a "new" os as in "trying something different" it was a joke, pun intended and it was more of a joke, but not a joke. and it is very buggy the new os's. it's not as solid as xp and they should have never did away with the old interface. correct me if i'm wrong but i could have sworn bill gates almost scrapped that project, but i think microsoft refused to listen to him. either way you can look it up online, bill gates didn't support vista and he kept his mouth shut during a student interview not to look bad.

and it really does eat up more resources, i only have a gig in this laptop with xp and that's way more then enough. even for gaming. i only use warcraft 3. and didn't toms post in early benchmarks that having more memory sometimes hurts performance in games? it depends on hitting the sweet spot.

okay, so thanks for the heads up on the support thing, i didn't know that, but i'm not worried cause xp already is the most established os out there, that's a fact. i haven't had any issues yet with xp. although the rest is a different story... your pretending like it's going to change over night, which it is defnitely NOT. i'm confused here, shed some light on me.

USAFRet

Titan
You're asking if I've ever used used Windows XP? Seriously?

I've used, in depth, every Microsoft operating system from DOS 1.0 to Windows 8.1. Literally.
And multiple other operating systems and platforms before and after that. UNIX, Linux, BeOS, etc, etc, etc....

If you were just a little bit clued in, you'd know that the end of life date of XP is April 8, 2014. Very, very soon. That has been a known date for a long time.
No more patches, updates, hotfixes....nada.

Since you apparently had no idea about the long known, impending cutoff date (April 8, 2014) of XP, how is anyone supposed to take you seriously?

Time to move on.

And please don't use foul language in here. Thanks.

alienworkshop

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
what, your totally avoiding the question of the fact if it's slower or faster. it's faster, i have real proof to myself that this is true. and a cut off date is something you have to LOOK up, i'm not going to sit here and try to find the cut off date for xp, that's ridiculous, so what, do i need to know that? NO, i really don't, but i gave you credit, cause that's "nice to know". but that's good to know. it's funny how you want to capitalize on that one. so what, i gave you credit, i been using windows since windows 3.1, and it doesn't take a knowledgable person to realize xp is faster, and you still didn't comment on that, how weird.

maybe you were trying to imply that maybe that wasn't a good idea, and i see where you coming from. it doesn't seem like a good idea to upgrade to xp. but it really is. again, it already established this. from my knowledge, maybe your getting old and don't see the light that xp is faster, still, you didn't comment on that, so i must be right. from how you avoided that, how can anybody take you serious? i mean that's good and all you been using dos, but you need to get with the times. sometimes microsoft won't release a product that's superior then the prior one, much like the price cuts intel did on their cpu's, it was just a bad call. the fact you didn't comment on this is astounding as your credibility of knowledge is being crushed here, cause i know for a fact that xp is faster, you said it wasn't and you refuse to comment on it.

how is anyone suppose to take me seriously if i didn't know the cut off date? LOL! dude, why do i need to know that? thanks and all, but your taking the credit i gave you a little too far. most people won't KNOW the date of the cut off, your making laugh dude. so what i didn't know, that's not a big deal and you know it.

original poster, seriously, it's an upgrade to xp, you won't regret it. just because they stop support for it doesn't mean that it's going to be phased out any time soon. that's a fact. it's already a solid os that's going to be around for a still long while. plus the interface that i mentioned "style xp" will crush any layout that windows 7 or any newer os has. if your getting sick of windows 7, plus there's thousands of different interfaces for xp out there. when you get bored of one, you can put in another. it's basically endless.

again that's good and all, i learned something but still, that's not a big deal dude, you simply lied because it looked like an iffy idea, and i admit it really is, but all in all, you probably knew it was faster, eats less resources, less problems, established itself as rock solid. i see where you coming from though as the idea of an upgrade to xp seems ridiculous, but in reality, it really is, but it's a good idea still. now i'm not a bad guy or trying to crush your knowledge or credibility, but that's farfetched what you said that xp isn't faster when in reality you probably already knew this.

okay, i'm not laughing at you but, just because i didn't know the cut off date for xp support i can't be taken seriously? LOL! wow... just wow... that's ridiculous dude. i mean seriously i gave you credit for it, and make up that story? wow. plus you didn't even comment that xp was slower or faster. i gave examples of real usage. again, i don't know what your smoking if that what you were implying. i bet you also didn't know that xp home edition is faster then xp professional edition.

like they say, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. i can't believe a moderator is lying. this is ridiculous. LOL!

sobok27

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
He's a troll stopped reading post at XP was faster. You will like windows 8.1 and only real difference between 8.1 and pro is the bitlocker encryption ability. higher security for files and such. enjoy:)

ekagori

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
I would sincerely not recommend the opinion of anyone advocating an ancient os like xp. It was great during its run but it's time to move on. Newer technology deserves a modern os that can support all its features. Driver support and game support for xp are dwindling at best and MS cutting support will make it even worse.

I would suggest getting win 8 pro then doing the free update to 8.1 from the ms store. I've been running 8/8.1 for over a year now. Although it took some getting used to, I don't miss the start menu anymore, I have my start screen organized to have my often used programs readily available and i've even been able to appreciate having some simple "tablet" like apps such as netflix for when I don't feel like doing any complex tasks on my pc.

alienworkshop

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
sobok, fact still remains that it's faster i was simply suggesting with solid facts. it's not trolling, your trolling cause your causing a problem and it was simply choice of whether or not he wants to do this, i'm not forcing him to do anything. also, the moderator is clearly lying, and i'm laughing right now reading it. i can't believe my eyes. everything i said was a fact. plus, it's his choice, and it's not a bad choice as i found no reason to upgrade to those os's as i have them right here, and it was the crappiest os's i ever seen in my life. your trolling by avoiding fact, causing more trouble then is needed, it was simply a suggesting and you could have ignored it. just because you "probably" have 8 or so doesn't mean you have to troll, that would be considered trolling, it's clear the moderator is lying. also, as i ALREADY said, i have those os's right here with me, as i have multiple computers, it's crappy. fact remains!

again, he's clearly lying. and you had no arguements there. he was probably thinking that it's old and didn't take into account all the factors that make an operating system good. so there you have it. as i said, it doesn't take a rocket scientist (nor an experienced computer user, which i am) to figure it out.

sobok27

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
OK understand I was in no way replying to your claims. I was in fact answering Dking25"s question. But please feel free to post a link to your benchmarks so we all can see your proof.

alienworkshop

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
that's not true ekagori. it's not dwindling like you said, that is not a FACT. it didn't even stop support yet, that, tells you something. your just making stuff up. do you realize how many stuff out there uses xp? your lying like usafret.

dude, just because it's old doesn't mean it's bad. i don't know why you said that, but that's totally misleading and not factual. i have yet to see a problem with xp, and i see so many errors with the newer windows, it's not even funny, it's a different hd interface and it's not matured yet. not like xp which was BASED off of windows 2000 supposedly. so it's matured and established. now, i see what your saying that it might not be a good idea, but it really is. just because it's older doesn't make it lesser. they couldn't top xp, i think that bill gates wanted to scrap the idea almost, but microsoft said no, either way, just release it against his permission, that's a FACT

dude, i have yet to have a problem with xp and just because support is going to be gone, doesn't mean it's out. that's not a fact, and your misleading the topic. hell if it does go out later down the line which were not even sure if it will because what could you possibly be using your computer for. xp is so advanced and established that you probably don't even NEED another os, your wasting money. that's why i'm laughing and it's faster, that's a fact you can't deny, i wasn't "lying" like the moderator. now just because i thought of something clever don't go shooting it down just because it was a good idea or the fact that i'm right. there's always windows 9 or even later, and you can look forward to a more mature interface that is going on, ONLY if you need it.

like i said, xp is established, mature, solid, less problems then the newer one, i mean look at all the problems people are having on toms, it's ridiculous. that's a FACT, i had trouble with windows 7 and the rest, it's ridiculous. not to mention. technology was rapid progressing during xp so, i don't see what your doing on your computer that you have to have anything else, that's a fact. all you people had to say was "oh okay, well that's a good idea, but maybe you want something interesting like windows 8" then i wouldn't have said anything, but don't go misleading the topic just cause i'm right. i don't know what your talking about but most things support xp on the internet and programs still. that's a FACT. so just quit lying, put down the crack pipe and calm down guys, cause lying gets you nowhere. just because you bought a crappy os, (i'm in the same boat as you guys, as i have windows 8 right here on a laptop) it came with it, doesn't mean you have to delude yourself into thinking that.

and lastly, i was going to say for the time being that xp was out maturing, it's going to be around for a long while even without support, they can't just scrap xp, that's impossible, so quit making stories up, xp was state of the art for ANY time that's ever going to happen, and you are correct it was great during it's run, and will stay that way cause technology can't really advance more then what has already happened. if you want to get nitpicky then your totally deluding yourself.

all i'm saying is that xp isn't going anywhere if you ask me, i bet xp will always be around, i mean hell, i know people using windows 2000 that are crazy, but you got to understand the tech that was with xp is going to be irreplacable, yes irreplaceble, there was too much that went on during this time that is not going to be replaced. now newer windows show much gain on this and it was bad idea to realease vista and it's new interface. that's why bill gates didn't want to release vista. he wanted to extend xp, and that's a fact. in fact, they want to kick him out. they are making a bad choice as bill gates had the right idea on this. i don't care to comment on this as i already have. you can even look this up and they want to kick him out totally as of recently.

so there you have it. the nail in the coffin and i'm not going to be lied to by trolls as my suggestion was just that, a suggestion. there's one mistake i never made though, buying windows 7, or 8 or any new windows on a custom build. waste of time and money. case closed, bye.

alienworkshop

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
dude, you said xp wasn't faster, it is, i have experience behind user usage that it's faster usafret. you didn't care to comment on this, i wonder why.

sobok, you were saying something about xp being faster. there, you were implying to me right? well, you need to be a little more punctual with your words if not. but i know you were talking about me. nobody is going to believe you since your lying like usafret again. look up benchmarks yourself, but i'm using real world performance that xp was faster, more responsive in everyday life, you can't benchmark that stupid. omg, you guys are killing me.

i have yet a reason to upgrade from xp, and it aint' going nowhere from what i said above, too much went on during xp's lifetime. that's all i got to say, bye. i'm not responding anymore to your people's lies.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Seems that some claims of XP's vast "superiority" have been made here without any factual data to back it up.

XP was great, however, it is quite dated and its ability to take full advantage of current hardware, its comparative lack of security, and its pending dropping of support by MS do make it a poor choice for a new build/install today.

Less hyperbole, more facts (links would be nice). Otherwise, no name calling and referring to other members as liars.

Status
Not open for further replies.