Windows 8.1 Pretty Slow

acrospore

Reputable
Oct 5, 2014
I moved from 7 to 8.1 to try it out and my fps in windowed games drops by a LOT (like CS:GO 100+ fps to not even 60 in windowed) but in windows 7 i play every game windowed.

I can tell my windows is lagging because I drag on the desktop but the box takes a while to catch up to my cursor (a few milliseconds but it's noticeable) and there is also a delay with moving around windows (shorter than the desktop box but still noticeable).

any ideas? thanks.

acrospore

Reputable
Oct 5, 2014

CPU: AMD FX-6120
RAM: 10gb
GPU: r7 260x

I don't know why my system acts this way on windows 8.1

bharathbigb

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2013
Download Driver Booster 2 from iOBit and Update All Drivers.Also Update your Games.Check for any BIOS or Firmware Updates and Update them too,Run Windows Update and make sure everything is Updated,Also Update your Anti-virus.

I had to make a change to my anti-virus, anti-malware and firewall (AV/AM/F) strategy when I went to Windows 8.

I have always used Windows Firewall (called Defender).

When I installed my favorite AV/AM products (Avast and Malwarebytes; both paid editions) in Windows 8, they wouldn't even allow Windows Updates to function correctly and slowed the system down considerably. Every once in a while I try to install them again, but they still bog down Windows 8.

While these programs worked extremely well in Windows 7, they are in no way optimized for Windows 8 and slow the system to a crawl.

Windows 8 has its own AV/AM/F (all of these together now called Defender). Try removing any 3rd party implementations and turning these on in Windows 8 security.

Does that help your speed?

acrospore

Reputable
Oct 5, 2014

The settings don't matter because I play multiple different games and they all have input lag regardless of the settings, but on csgo i usually play on the lowest settings possible. The only thing that causes input lag as far as I know is windowed mode.

Any game i play in windowed mode has input delay for some odd reason...

Then I am not sure why this is happening.

bharathbigb

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2013
I hope you have already followed this,if not,Please do...

Download Driver Booster 2 from iOBit and Update All Drivers.Check for any BIOS or Firmware Updates and Update them too,Run Windows Update and make sure everything is Updated,Also Update your Anti-virus.