windows 8.1 pro, changed C: to D: of ProgramFileDir and ProgramFileDir (x86)

lorenz_929

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
ok i <Mod Edit> up, i changed the program files to a different location because of storage problems in my SSD. now nothing works. how can i change it back?? i can't open regedit and system restore since it now thinks everything is in D:, but is still in C:

ugh dammit im an idiot. i need help now pls thanks.

i made a backup of my registry btw, that's why im trying to open regedit, but i cant

<Moderator Warning: Please watch your language in these forums>

Solution

Those are your own words... so the answer is appropriate..

If you did it from the registry you need to explain the exact procedure. I can't imagine you editing the registry key values one by one for all the programs. Merging the Registry backup sounds like the obvious repair but apparently the tougher Windows 8 security is preventing it. So an adequate advice depends on your answer on how you edited the registry.

Possible solutions:
1. Merging the registry backup from the Hirens Boot CD,
2. but a Repair installation may be quicker and easier
3. Use Registry Toolkit to edit the registry values where the drive letters were changed...
You may have to do it from ouside Windows... from a bootable disk like the Hiren's Boot CD/USB. That should bypass System File Protection and allow moving the Program Files folder to the original location.

Save the registry backup for later... you should not need it for this. If after moving the folder and loging on some issues remain, System Restore should take care of them.

http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd-on-usb-disk

lorenz_929

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014

reinstall what?? my OS?? if yes how do i do that?? and will i need a new key??

uhm, i dont understand this, my program files folder are both still in C:, but i changed the registry to D:, how do i do this exactly??

David Olson

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
I'm assuming you edited the registry to make the change. I'm a little confused because the registry tool (regedit) is not located in c:\Program Files. Maybe you changed your system drive? HKLM\Software is located at c:\Windows\system32\config\software.sav, if you can edit that file (regedit->file->load hive), then you can set back whatever damage you've done. Make sure you unload hive when you are done.

I should have mentioned you will need to do this after booting your system from Windows 2 Go or Windows PE or whatever bootable media you want to use.

I just thought of something else. If you can boot your machine, when you try to launch regedit, type the full path (c:\windows\regedit.exe) instead of just "regedit".

Those are your own words... so the answer is appropriate..

If you did it from the registry you need to explain the exact procedure. I can't imagine you editing the registry key values one by one for all the programs. Merging the Registry backup sounds like the obvious repair but apparently the tougher Windows 8 security is preventing it. So an adequate advice depends on your answer on how you edited the registry.

Possible solutions:
1. Merging the registry backup from the Hirens Boot CD,
2. but a Repair installation may be quicker and easier
3. Use Registry Toolkit to edit the registry values where the drive letters were changed. Can be 100% solved or less depending on the time you care to spend on it, but if you come short of 100% you could reach the point where merging the registry backup or Restoring the System can work.

(2 is probably the quickest IF the installation is repairable or the Windows edition allows it).

Solution

lorenz_929

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014

uhm, what i did was, change the registry of the 2 program files directory from C: to D:

but i didnt move the actual folder from C: to D:, so program files folders are still in C:, then i restarted

thus, the error occurring. i can't open system restore or the regedit. i can open some stuff though like firefox.

lorenz_929

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014

sry i guess what i said was not right. what i did was.

1. went to regedit, edited ProgramFileDir and ProgramFileDir (x86) from C: to D:
2. then restarted my pc to see if the changes happened.
3. everything went wrong from there :(

im trying hiren's bootable usb right now. gonna try to change the registry from there.

i dont have a cd for my windows copy right now since i downloaded it from the dreamspark w/c is free for my school

if there's a better solution what is it?? thanks for the help and sorry for the misunderstanding

1. Download the REGTKT.ZIP (750 K) 32 or 64 bit option...
2. extract the contents to any folder, (No installation required with the zip downoad).
3. Start the program,
4. Right click on My Registry,
5. Click Search or Replace in Registry
6. "Search for"; Type D:\ if that's the Drive letter you edited on to the registry, and on "Replace With" type C:\.
7. Check the empty boxes and press "Search" if you want to test the possible results... or "Replace" to edit the registry.

8. Alternately you could use the Registry ToolKit program to try and Merge the Registry backup, (the program may have better access to merge the registry than you). After 4. selecting My Registry, click on "Import Registry File", next find the backup and press open.

Registry ToolKit
http://www.funduc.com/rtshareware.htm

lorenz_929

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014

the program is crashing after i finish merging the backup. then nothing is changed.

trying to replace the D: to C: but its not changing.