Windows 8.1 Redirect Public Folders

thornleyp

Reputable
Feb 17, 2014
I read your article "New SSD? Now what? Redirecting static files elsewhere". It notes "This only partially applies with Windows 8.1. The library redirect is a little different". I've just done fresh install windows 8.1 on SSD. I can redirect personal folders to separate HDD drive. I tried top move default location of Public folders to a new drive using(http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forums/windows_7-files/how-can-i-move...) however it has slowed my new PC down and I'm not sure how to reverse this process either. Can anyone help me to reverse what I've done and get my PC running faster again? Is there a better way to achieve Public folder redirection e.g. Library redirect? Can anyone show me how? Thanks.

USAFRet

Titan
From your link - "Page not found"

But I wrote that tutorial.There is now another one, directed specifically at Win 8.1.
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2024314/windows-redirecting-folders-drives.html

I have done this on my personal machines, and seen zero 'slowdown', apart from the difference between SSD and HDD.

With 8.1, you can select "Restore Default" in Properties/Locations. That should move things back to where they were.

Rinosaur Sv

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014

To move Public Folders to another drive just do the same as move Personal Folders BUT MUST BE ONLY IN THE SAFE MODE as follow:

1. Boot in the Safe Mode.
2. Right Click on the Public Folder you want to move.
3. Click Properties -> Location -> move the same way as to move a Personal Folder.
4. If you want to make a symbolic link to the old location (Public Folder) use mklink /D command in the Command Prompt run as Administrator; e.g.
mkilnk /D %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Users\Public\"Public Documents" D:\"Documents_Public (C)"

where: D:\"Documents_Public (C)" is the NEW location of an OLD C:\Users\Public\Public Documents

5. Beware: Public Account Pictures (a hidden folder) could not be moved or delete completely due to SYSTEM permission. If you move it, the folder in NEW location could not be Restore Default correctly.

6. Easily -> enjoy! we're moving.

jkolak

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015
This does not work on the main Public folder because its Properties dialog box has no Location tab. I can move the sub-folders, but then the Public folder appears empty to the other computers on the network.

If you are talking about "C:\Users\Public", why complain? There should be nothing in that folder except other folders, and it's those folders that you redirect. The left over folder takes up practically no disk space.

jkolak

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015

That is true. The problem is that the folders that were moved out of the Public folder are no longer visible to the network.

You might just need to change the sharing and access properties. If you are using network shares, you should avoid the public folder sharing method unless you are 100% certain that only systems under your control are using it.

jkolak

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015

That's what I'm doing at the moment, right clicking the new "Public" folder on D:, then selecting Share with Homegroup. It seemed an inelegant solution that defeats the purpose of having a Public folder, but the vulnerability of the network to WiFi hacking seems to make your advice relevant.

The "public folder" is actually meant for sharing files between profiles on a computer, it's actually the more "inelegant" of the methods, since enabling public folder sharing means disabling control over how it's shared.

I would highly suggest reading up on folder permissions and network shares, there are some interesting things you can do with it, especially if you have a Pro version of Windows (and even more if you have Windows Server).

jkolak

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015

Thanks for the tips. Doing well for the moment with sharing the new Public folder to the Homegroup.