YourHums

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2005
Hi,

I know this has been addressed in previous threads but there is a new problem. I had to reinstall Windows 8.1 and got the same "SM Bus Driver Missing" that I got last time I had to go through this. However, the Intel Management Engine driver I downloaded from Asrock can't connect to Intel. It seems they no longer support the chipset on this motherboard. There is no current Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility on the Intel web site for Windows 8.1 that I can find, only Windows 10 and Server 2019. Anyone have any options for dealing with this issue without Intel utilities? I tried updating drivers through the Windows Device Manager but had no luck.

I assume this is related. I keep getting an error message saying that a USB device wasn't removed correctly. I have had to turn the sound off because the windows error message tone goes off repeatedly. The USB Mass Storage Device in Devices and Printers keeps blinking in and out. The "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" keeps blinking in and out as well. This was an issue before I reinstalled Windows so I am starting to think it is a hardware issue, but may have been related to the SM Bus Controller driver issue all along.

Windows 8.1 64 bit
Intel Core i5 4670
Asrock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer motherboard
Samsung 860 EVO SSD

Thanks!