Windows 8.1 - Startup Black Screen with blinking cursor, No CTRL+ALT+DEL

HobbitLass

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015
File explorer stopped working. Both right and left clicks to open any folder caused the file explorer (blank, not showing any files) to appear for a few seconds. The screen then freezes, then black screen for a second, then file explorer is gone.

I performed sfc /scannow and left with CBS.log and recommended reboot. After reboot, lock screen was displayed and then login screen. After entering password, turned into black screen with cursor that appears (when touching screen) and disappears.

Ctrl+alt+del doesn't seem to work as well as Safe Mode by pressing F8 repeatedly right after turning on notebook. I think the desktop is still there, I just can't see. But I can't do anything since everything is black. I tried pressing all sorts of keys to no avail.

Windows updated a few days ago. But I can't check and uninstall or return to restore point since all I see is the back screen.

Specs:
ASUS X102B Notebook PC
Windows 8.1 64-bit
2 GB RAM
AMD A4 Elite Mobility
HDMI High Definition Multimedia Interface

----------
UPDATE: I am finally able to access Safe Mode by turning off/on within seconds. At the next startup, the blue screen containing options for Safe Mode. However, no matter which Safe Mode option I select (e.g., with networking), the screen stays BLANK and BLACK with the cursor slightly more stable as it appears whenever I move the mouse. The "Safe Mode" at every corner of the screen flickered once and hasn't reappeared since. Nothing happens when I click ctrl+alt+del or click anywhere. I can't follow any fix online since NOTHING is on the screen and NOTHING HAPPENS no matter what I do. Frustrating.

Solution

harryfishrules

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015

Hi HobbitLass. First of all, when you boot normally, you can boot to the login screen, correct?

When you boot into safe mode, when the 'Safe Mode' text appears in all 4 corners, press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC and see whether it opens task manager. Regardless of whether it does or not, press "Windows + R" and see if Run comes up.

HobbitLass

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015

Hi Harry. Thank you for replying. After pressing the power button (actual, not on screen since everything is black like my soul), the ASUS logo appears as usual and then turns into a black screen. So I can't actually login. I stopped trying to make Safe Mode work; I finally decided to do a System Restore by prompting the "blue screen" (see: http://www.vmwareandme.com/2013/10/step-by-step-how-to-solve-windows-81.html#.VZNVxuiwrbX) by turning on/off the notebook PC within seconds.

Fortunately, I have a Restore Point created a few days ago. My notebook PC seems to be in working order now, no black screen, and the file explorer launches normally. I checked the recently installed programs and Windows updates to see which could have caused the problem but the latest were weeks old. Since I can't figure it out, I'm just hoping it won't happen again.

--------
UPDATE:

It happened AGAIN! Whether it was shut down or restart, the login screen do not appear at startup. It's all black screen with flickering cursor. I ended up doing System Restore each time. Start Up Repair, Restart, and Safe Mode didn't do anything. Any suggestions?

harryfishrules

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015

How cruel computers can be! Right, boot the system after system restore and DO NOT turn it off until these steps have been completed:

1. Press "Windows + R" at the same time
2. Enter "control wuaucpl.cpl" (without speech marks) and hit enter
3. Click on "Check for Updates"
4. Install all updates (including optional ones)
4. If told to restart, select "Restart Later"
5. Run a full system scan with MalwareBytes (https://www.malwarebytes.org/)
6. Remove any programs identified by MalwareBytes
7. Press "Windows"
8. Type "cmd" (without the speech marks) into the start screen.
9. Right click on Command Prompt and select "Open as Administrator"
10. Type "sfc /scannow" (without the speech marks) and hit enter
11. Restart the PC

Let me know how this goes and what the scan in Command Prompt shows.

HobbitLass

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015
How cruel computers can be! Right, boot the system after system restore and DO NOT turn it off until these steps have been completed:

1. Press "Windows + R" at the same time
2. Enter "control wuaucpl.cpl" (without speech marks) and hit enter
3. Click on "Check for Updates"
4. Install all updates (including optional ones)
4. If told to restart, select "Restart Later"
5. Run a full system scan with MalwareBytes (https://www.malwarebytes.org/)
6. Remove any programs identified by MalwareBytes
7. Press "Windows"
8. Type "cmd" (without the speech marks) into the start screen.
9. Right click on Command Prompt and select "Open as Administrator"
10. Type "sfc /scannow" (without the speech marks) and hit enter
11. Restart the PC

Let me know how this goes and what the scan in Command Prompt shows.

Scan Now
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cgb2zu45skmmcjj/Scan%20Now%20CMD.png?dl=0

CBS Log https://www.dropbox.com/s/kwowji01qsidwf7/CBS.log?dl=0

I'm about to restart my notebook. I'll let you know what happens. :)

harryfishrules

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015

Hi. I assume from the log file that a restart didn't help. In which case try this:
1. Boot into Safe Mode
2. Press "Windows"
3. Type "cmd" (without the speech marks) into the start screen.
4. Right click on Command Prompt and select "Open as Administrator"
5. Type "sfc /scannow" (without the speech marks) and hit enter
6. Restart the PC

Solution

HobbitLass

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015
Hi. I assume from the log file that a restart didn't help. In which case try this:
1. Boot into Safe Mode
2. Press "Windows"
3. Type "cmd" (without the speech marks) into the start screen.
4. Right click on Command Prompt and select "Open as Administrator"
5. Type "sfc /scannow" (without the speech marks) and hit enter
6. Restart the PC

No, it didn't. :( Before seeing your reply, I tried another System Restore but unlike the other times, it also didn't help with the black screen. I'll try to boot into Safe Mode to do another Scan Now as admin but since my prior attempts to all Safe Mode options also ended up with a black screen and flickering cursor, I'm not so hopeful. :(

----------
UPDATE: I'm in Safe Mode now but like before, the "Safe Mode" in all corners appears quickly and disappears for a long time on its own. The cursor retains its blinking personality. I try pressing the Windows key but nothing happens on screen. I let the cursor hover where I estimate the Command Prompt would appear after searching for it; the cursor blinks out of existence once it reaches the "area" and teleports back to the middle of the screen. So I can't perform the sfc /scannow. :(

Use your wand, Harry! :lol:

shiftz

Reputable
Jul 4, 2015
Hey how are you? I was having the same problem in an asus laptop after the windows updates... After a few hours trying to figure the problem I was able to find that everytime I restore the system it works and when I updated windows once more time it happens again. So my temporary solution was disable the updates, and now I was trying to find a permanent one but until now... 0! If you find something about this issue please share with us, thank you :D

TomasPistonCraft

Reputable
Jul 4, 2015
I had the same problem not long ago. i turned out I had turned on fast boot mode in the boot options which at the time was not compatible with windows 8. When fast boot mode was turned on it instantly removed all drivers (files the make device work) and so I borrowed A PS/2 keyboard (does not require a driver) tuned off fast boot in the boot menu (upon load up press either F2 Delete F12 or F6)

Hope this helped.

Tomas

HobbitLass

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015
@Tomas That was one of the fixes I found online but, sadly, it didn't solve the black screen for me. Still, thank you for trying to help, Tomas. :)

@shiftz EXACTLY. The System Restore only temporarily fixes the blank screen but after shut down or restart, it happens all over again. Vicious cycle. I tried quite a lot of "fixes" including the one Tomas mentioned but... :(

As indicated in my previous post, I couldn't access any Safe Mode options. I didn't want to perform anything that would affect my files. I've been following Harry's instructions to a T. The first run of sfc /scannow didn't successfully fix some corrupted files and after a restart, it's black screen all over again. As if it couldn't get any worse, System Restore stopped working while Refresh PC and Start Repair didn't work either. There may had been a few manly tears involved.

I had to have access to the Command Prompt. But I couldn't get into Safe Mode. While staring at the blue screen of options, I finally paid attention to the one that said Command Prompt. After another sfc /scannow, which was successful this time, I got my desktop back. No more black screen after shut down or restart and my files were unaffected BUT my Windows 8.1 downgraded into 8. I'm having a problem with making Trust PC work but that's another story (and a different post altogether). I hope I have written this clearly for you to follow. Let us know how it goes! :)

Harry, you are definitely a wizard. Thank you for your help! :D

shiftz

Reputable
Jul 4, 2015
Yeah, with me is a little different since i can Ctrl+alt+del, I tried everything start explorer.exe, start the prompt and perform sfc /scannow, start in safe mode and is always the same! :pfff: As I said the only temporary solution I found is system restore and turn off the updates... Maybe I'll install the updates 1 by 1, but is too much time spent and it's not a good solution in my point of view...

harryfishrules

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015

Haha, brilliant to hear that I've solved your issue. I'd say register to get a free copy of Windows 10 if you can and upgrade to that when available, skipping windows 8.1. All the best, Harry.

harryfishrules

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015

Hi shiftz, if it's no problem could you start a new thread on your issue and post the link to that thread here. It's just to that people with your issue can join a new thread that hasn't already been 'solved'.