Windows 8.1 unable to install .MSI files and unable to create restore points/error check USB's.... (No one can help me?)

EngageTheSun

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014
*edit* I posted this 2 days ago in overclock.net's forums and not a single soul helped me. Same with the LinusTechTips forums. Have I found the un-solvable error in Windows? Because I really don't feel like formatting my HDD and re-installing Windows 8.1 again.

*EDIT 11/15/14* - Installed HAWKEN through Steam. Works perfectly. Nothing else is budging. Skyrim won't install. I did leave my PC while installing HAWKEN for about 2 hours, but came back to messages saying "The installer is now responding. Continue or exit?"

So my issue with Windows 8.1 is interesting. I'm unable to install .MSI files, and i'm finding myself not being able to use Windows utilities.

.MSI Files and installation issues
Usually when I download a .MSI file for installation, I open it and it's stuck at "Please wait while Windows configures (xxx)". I've let it run for 2 hours once, and all I got back was "The installer is not responding. Retry or exit?" If I hit exit, it gets stuck and I have to force close it inside task manager, and if I hit retry, there isn't any improvements.
Same issue with installing games from Steam. I downloaded ARMA III and I had it running, but I closed it because I had to leave for about an hour. When I came to launch it, I was directed back to the installer popup Steam gives you. Usually it gets stuck on (Installing/Verifying Microsoft DirectX). With Bioshock 1, it get's stuck while installing Microsoft 2005 C++ extension. Same thing with the .MSI files, it will get stuck at "Please wait while Windows configures (xxx)" and doesn't do anything,
I've looked inside of task manager while this whole "configuration" process was going on, and the Windows Installer uses 0% CPU, 2-3% RAM, 0% Disk, and 0% LAN. You would think it would be doing something. You know, using CPU power to process something while "configuring" right???

Windows Utilities Issues
When I went into the control panel to create a restore point, it does NOTHING (seeing a theme here?). By nothing, I mean sit there with a window open and loading bar underneath it, and just... Well, sit there. No progress within 1 hour, nor 2, nor 3, nor 4, not even overnight. Just stays at a theoretical 0%.
So a USB3 extension cable was going bad on me, and was repeatedly plugging and unplugging one of my most valued backup drive. Once I unplugged it from the shotty extension cable, I plugged it into a normal USB3 port. Windows told me the drive had errors and needed to scan and fix them. Once I started the scanning process, guess what it did... Nothing!! Left it for a half hour and came back to another theoretical 0%. I wanted to see if I was going insane, so I ejected it, and plugged it into my school laptop with a "torn down" version of Windows 7, and it was able to scan the errors and fix them within 5 minutes.

I seriously need help with this. So far, I havn't found anything relatible on Google, and I honestly have no idea what to do. Is there some utility that will check for missing system files and restore them? I really need help guys. I honestly don't feel like formatting and reinstalling Windows 8.1 AGAIN. Just to let you know, I turned off automatic updates because I felt that killed my computer originally.

Again, please help a brother out!!

Solution

You did a full reinstall from known good media?

EngageTheSun

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014

I build this almost a year ago.
CPU: AMD Athlon X4 750K
MOBO: AsRock FM2A88X Extreme 6+
GPU: MSI Radeon R9 270X
PSU: Fractal Design 650W Integra

EngageTheSun

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014

I did that. It told me that it found corrupt system files, but wasn't able to repair them. Useless.

USAFRet

Titan

Reinstall. You could flail about for days (which has already happened) and never find/fix the problem, or you could reinstall and know it is fixed.

EngageTheSun

Reputable
Apr 6, 2014

But I've done that already... There isn't another method??

USAFRet

Titan

You did a full reinstall from known good media?

Solution