Windows 8.1 Update 1: How to Download it Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zepid

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
You could always search and launch via the startscreen by simply typing and entering. Most of these upgrades are for the elderly and stubborn who can't be bothered to take 10-20ms of time to understand the minor graphical changes that Win8 brought.

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Heh, still can't bring back the Start Menu can you Microsoft?

Wonder if all those Windows 8 users are going to feel like they're left out in the cold with Windows 9 around the corner. Vista anyone? lol

bmwman91

Honorable
May 19, 2013
Good for them for not bringing the Start Menu back. I don't miss it at all. It seemed weird without it at first and I had a few frustrations as I figured out where a few things got moved, but once I removed the various metro apps and checked a few settings boxes, it was running in normal "desktop" mode and I think that the start screen is actually more fluid and user friendly than the start menu ever was. I actually like the full-screen start screen. Win key + a couple of letters + enter and just about anything I want to run is running without having to reach for the mouse. To each their own though.

ferooxidan

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
"Most of these upgrades are for the elderly and stubborn who can't be bothered to take 10-20ms of time to understand the minor graphical changes that Win8 brought." Clearly shows that the majority of people hate to change how things are, that's why world peace is something very difiicult to achieve.

Patrick Tobin

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
"Most of these upgrades are for the elderly and stubborn who can't be bothered to take 10-20ms of time to understand the minor graphical changes that Win8 brought." Clearly shows that the majority of people hate to change how things are, that's why world peace is something very difiicult to achieve.

See? The world needs to look to tech users as a model. Change? FUCK YEAH!

lp231

Splendid
Are those the finalized official updates from Microsoft or are they the bugged updates that's been leaked to the web?
I've check Windows update and Windows Update: KB2919355 comes to 887.6MB. How comes the ones posted here for 64bit is only 691MB?
I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, does Pro require a extra 196.6MB? And if it does, then are those updates only for Windows 8.1 Core (Home Edition)?

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
You could always search and launch via the startscreen by simply typing and entering. Most of these upgrades are for the elderly and stubborn who can't be bothered to take 10-20ms of time to understand the minor graphical changes that Win8 brought.

My only and major gripe with windows 8 is the fact that i have to leave the desktop to open a program. Its just so fucking annoying, i normally always have tv or a video playing in a corner of my screen or something and i always seem to miss an awesome bit while i'm trying to find a program in the maze of icons. the old start menu was far more efficient and convenient for me and i'm the only one i care about haha

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
The updates failed for me. When the system restarted it got to a certain point and then undid everything. No clue why, but I can't get it going on my home PC.

That is a very good thing. I hope Microsoft keeps the new start menu as just a memory there is no need what so ever for any kind of added start menu what so ever.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012

MS is doing another update in the fall that will have the Start Menu.

godfather666

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
I like this update, especially the ability to pin metro apps to task bar and close the normally (i.e. they added an X button in the top right corner).

I think it's yet another step in the right direction. Many more are needed. Hopefully it'll be perfected by the time Windows 9 is released.

If they can maintain the full Win 7 experience and still add a good touch screen interface, they could have a winner on their hands.

godfather666

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
That said, it's shocking this wasn't done a long time ago. Windows 8 should have never shipped the way it was.

I'll now try to uninstalled Start8 and see how I feel about the new setup. I did that after Windows 8.1 was released, but I re-installed it, realizing it was still not usable. I'll call this take 2 and hope for the best.

G

2 versions of IE is what tipped me to go back to Windows 7, that and when playing music and you go to launch another application it stops (using media player, which is handy when you just want to listen to a couple of new tracks)

IQ11110002

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
Don't see what all the fuss is about, If you already have win 8.1 you can set it up to act like win 7 anyway and mine boots to desktop, There is already a start menu there you just right click, left click will open metro. No need for 3rd party programs and no need for this update.

Status
Not open for further replies.