Windows 8.1 Update May Arrive April 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

egilbe

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Too little, too late :) I'll wait for the next iteration of Windows if I feel I need to upgrade any computers. I knew this version was a train wreck since Beta.

notsleep

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
i hope one can go from windows 8.0 to windows 8.1 update 1 directly without having to go through the store first for 8.1 then through win update for 8.1 update 1.

sourstones

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
i hope one can go from windows 8.0 to windows 8.1 update 1 directly without having to go through the store first for 8.1 then through win update for 8.1 update 1.
Bro, you can't even go from 8.0 to 8.1 with having the correct updates done first. So I highly doubt it.

eduardvictor

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014
Can't wait, love Windows 8 Pro and 8.1 Pro, and ever since I first installed 8 pro back in late 2012, i have not had a single BSOD or system freeze, and my computer has been running perfectly.It is a 6 year old gaming PC and installing W8 on it made it feel brand new.Can't wait to build my new rig this year and install W8 on that, it will kick ass.W8 haters can go fuck themselves as far as I am concerned, it is the best OS I've ever used, and I've used everything since Windows '95, except Windows ME which was complete fucking garbage.

dwdesign

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
My spider sense is telling me that 90% of the comments below will focus on "too little too late" and general microsoft hate.
My spider sense is telling me that 90% of the comments below will focus on "too little too late" and general microsoft hate.
TOO little TOO late!

Morbus

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
Can't wait, love Windows 8 Pro and 8.1 Pro, and ever since I first installed 8 pro back in late 2012, i have not had a single BSOD or system freeze, and my computer has been running perfectly.It is a 6 year old gaming PC and installing W8 on it made it feel brand new.Can't wait to build my new rig this year and install W8 on that, it will kick ass.W8 haters can go fuck themselves as far as I am concerned, it is the best OS I've ever used, and I've used everything since Windows '95, except Windows ME which was complete fucking garbage.
If you like Win8 so much I don't know why you're so excited. Microsoft is basically undoing the crap what Win8 is, the crap you claim to like. I wouldn't say they'll do away with it completely, in Windows 8.1.1, but it's definitely a step in the wrong direction for you, if you really like Windows 8.

vpoko

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
If you like Win8 so much I don't know why you're so excited. Microsoft is basically undoing the crap what Win8 is, the crap you claim to like. I wouldn't say they'll do away with it completely, in Windows 8.1.1, but it's definitely a step in the wrong direction for you, if you really like Windows 8.
I don't think that's true. It's not like Metro is going away, or 8.1's faster boot times, or better stability. My take is that Windows 8.1 is already similar enough to Windows 7 to be OK, as long as you're willing to spend some time customizing it, and it does have its advantages over 7. MS definitely messed up by making it so much less usable out-of-the-box, but it's a bigger issue for regular users instead of the technically inclined.

coolitic

Distinguished
May 10, 2012
Even though the desktop is better, I'm still not getting 8.1 u1 because windows 8.1 is still loaded with bugs and still has compatibility issues.

bdl211

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
I don't think that's true. It's not like Metro is going away, or 8.1's faster boot times, or better stability. My take is that Windows 8.1 is already similar enough to Windows 7 to be OK, as long as you're willing to spend some time customizing it, and it does have its advantages over 7. MS definitely messed up by making it so much less usable out-of-the-box, but it's a bigger issue for regular users instead of the technically inclined.

soldier44

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Lol Your in the minority there bud. Try getting a SSD hard drive for that outdated gaming PC. Win 7 will run just as fast. Win 8 is nothing different to make it run faster with the right hardware.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I am so friggin confused on Microsoft's naming convention. I saw Windows 8.1 update and thought, wasn't 8.1 already released? Why cant they name it something sensible like Windows 8.11 instead of Windows 8.1 Update 1?

Truckinupga

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012

Its not actually a new version of Windows, It's only an update adding new features and Improvements. But as you may have heard, Microsoft is considering making all upcoming versions of Windows free (i.e. Windows 9 and up) which is great news. As a PC builder and repairman, my life would be so much easier if most computers were running the same version of Windows.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
People that hate on Win8 or call it a train wreck are tech-illiterate. The metro UI is just a better start menu. That's it. It's a much easier to read, cleaner start menu that happens to also work really well for touch devices (but there's no problem with it when it comes mouse/keyboard).The amount of hate these comments always generate about windows 8 from such a small change/improvement really makes me wonder about the intelligence and / or maturity of the posters here on toms.If you liked windows 7, windows 8 and 8.1 are nothing but an improvement. Is it worth upgrading from windows 7? Probably not. But it's certainly a better upgrade choice from XP / vista to 8 instead of 7.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Even if people hate Metro, there is no reason to hate Windows 8 regardless. In less time than it takes to modify the background wallpaper in Windows 7 you can modify Windows 8 to look and act like Windows 7, including a Start Menu. You will however get better memory management, smaller footprint, less system resources used, more security, more compatibility. This is what happens people are spoonfed for too long. Do yourselves a favour and grow up.

Truckinupga

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012

I agree, my house of three PC's were in on the beta of Windows 8. We all were impressed, sure it had some learning curves but it wasn't as complicated as people made it out to be. As a techie I love a challenge and to learn new things. I don't regret my move to Windows 8 at all.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Honestly if people don't like W8 they're not going to use it. It's a bit tiring to constantly have to explain to people why W8 doesn't work. It does work fine once you remove the start screen, or if you have the patience for that.. however a good portion of Windows users still on XP and W7 are not bothering with W8. Uninstalling W8 for W7 for people seems to be a normal thing for me now, nevermind how they could have just returned it and could have built the system, with the OS of their choice... but of course it's amazing how many people out there are computer illiterate. I don't have the patience to try to tell every single person that comes to me whining about W8 how i can remove the nonsense on it but they still want XP back.. or something different it's just easier to get a copy of W7 and install it, and hey it's their money they are throwing away.

oblivionlord

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
"The metro UI is just a better start menu. That's it."For the people like me that don't like a cluttered up desktop... we like to put our shortcut icons into the startmenu and select them while still being in the desktop. The metro screen is counterproductive in this regard since it enforces you to go into another screen entirely just to do the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS