Windows 8.1 updates

lblar37

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2015
Just bought new laptop and took it out of box. It says 56 Windows 8.1 updates 47 of which are important need to be downloaded and installed, but every time I try, they fail. Tried turning off antivirus and firewall and running Windows Installer Troubleshooter. They're still failing. Any ideas?

lblar37

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2015
The time zone thing is weird. I still had to manually change the clock to the correct time even though it was set for Central US time.

What does this have to do with Windows Updates? Yes, I have it set to Auto Update. I got one to update, but only after running Windows Update troubleshooter which said I had registry errors it fixed. On a brand new laptop? How do you get registry errors? The only thing I have downloaded since I took it out of the box is Google Chrome browser. Do the updates have to be set to Auto? On my old laptop I preferred to have them download automatically but let me choose when to install. Also, do I need to keep turning off firewall and anti virus?

lblar37

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2015
Thanks Blackbird for your help. They all installed now except for two Windows 8.1 for 64x based systems KB3003667 and KB2976536 and Windows Malicious Software Removal tool KB890830. For now, I'm not going to worry about getting those 3 installed. Now if I could just get the touchpad to stop freezing I'll be in good shape!

lblar37

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2015
I think I was accidentally hitting a "hot" key and disabling touchpad. F6 on my Lenovo seems to turn the touchpad on and off. If I continue to have trouble with it, I'll try checking for new driver. Thanks again for all your help SR-71 Blackbird!