windows 8.1 upgrade assistant saying my processor is less than 1ghz

kiezz

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
hi all

im looking to upgrade from windows 7 to 8.1 and when i download and run the upgrade assistant it says my processor is less than 1ghz speed, ive disabled speedstep in case that was causing a problem so its definitely running at more than 1ghz, any ideas on what i can do to upgrade? any help is greatly appreciated

Solution
@ USAFRet,

OP's specs are in the signature.

@ kiezz,

Try removing your overclock temporarily. Also make sure that if UAC is turned on in your Windows 7 install, that the upgrade assistant is run with administrative rights (right click the upgrade assistant executable and select Run As Administrator).

There is an outside chance that a BIOS flash may be needed as well, but don't do that yet until other possibilities are eliminated.

USAFRet

Titan

Some information about your system would be helpful here.

@ USAFRet,

OP's specs are in the signature.

@ kiezz,

Try removing your overclock temporarily. Also make sure that if UAC is turned on in your Windows 7 install, that the upgrade assistant is run with administrative rights (right click the upgrade assistant executable and select Run As Administrator).

There is an outside chance that a BIOS flash may be needed as well, but don't do that yet until other possibilities are eliminated.

Solution

kiezz

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
thanks for the reply ive tried removing the overclock and running on default and run as administrator but i get same error saying processor is less than 1ghz it also says
" ##ProcessorArchHardText## "
and " ##ProcessorVendorHardText## "
i don't mind flashing the bios if you think it will help

kiezz

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011

thanks a lot the bios flash worked great, your help is much appreciated

tfhummel

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Hey guys I know this thread is older but I am having the same issue with 8.1 not being able to install because it says I am not running a processor with 1ghz or higher even though I have a i7 4770k. I am new to BIOS flashing. How do I go about doing that with a Z87-Plus motherboard?